Sunday, September 19, 2010

Waltz Across Texas

We are in Houston! Although by the time many of you read this we may be in San Antonio or beyond. By the way, from what I've seen, driving friendly is not exactly the Texas way. Just saying. Driving fast is their way apparently and this from somebody from a state that hosts Talledega and many of the residents think they are race car drivers.

We stopped at a BassPro Shop in LA. Jack was discussing universal cosmology with this catfish.

Crossing the Mississippi in LA. I've done this several other places but not here before.

A giant bronze turtle at a really cool welcome center whose name I cannot pronounce at the moment. It's Cajun. The sun was very much in my eyes here so that's why the bad face.

That's all for now folks!! See you soon!


12 comments:

Ed said...

That's one lonely looking star.

Wendy said...

Having lived in Texas and driven in Texas too many times, I would have to agree with your observation that Texans don't really drive "nice" - aggressive, but not nice.

In fact, I found not a lot of "nice" things about Texas ;).

Hope you don't have the same experience and that your vacation is relaxing and "nice" :).

HermitJim said...

Seems to be three speeds of driving in Texas...dead stop, full out, and stopped again!

The fun thing is to have to drive here every day of the week!

Keeps you on your toes, that's for sure!

If you think Houston is bad...wait until you get to Austin or San Antonio!

Be safe!

Joe said...

yeah i have to agree with you that friendly isn't really the way to drive in Texas. Oh well, keep smiling!

Rurality said...

Sounds like you are having a good time! I was working fair pick-up yesterday and saw Fred (he won several ribbons). He told me to check your blog; that you had been updating with your trip. But most of what he told me was not on your blog yet, so I'm not sure if you talked to him, or erased some stuff. Or maybe he dreamed it all LOL.

Have fun. We will wait til you get back to have a big celebration with MM for her PhD. But if you're having too much fun to ever come back, let me know. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hey Annie, seems like you and Capt Jack are having a grand time. Never been to Texas but it sounds like a fast moving place - and that's only the drivers!

edifice rex said...

Hey Guys! thanks everybody and yes, we are having a really good time.

Jen said...

Welcome to Texas...from a native Texan. I particularly don't care for the bigger cities, which is why I chose a rural place in the brush. :) -Jen

edifice rex said...

Hey Jen! thanks so much. We really enjoyed Texas and had a great time.

Beau said...

Awesome pictures! Looks like a fun trip... spent a few years in Texas myself, but I always liked how folks would pull to the side of the road to let others pass.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Don't you look like a real tourist without your tool belt and hard hat.:)

edifice rex said...

Hey Beau! yes, that part is pretty cool that they will let you pass like that!

Hey Philip! yeah! don't I?!!