Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Miles From Our Home


Well, I do have one little recent adventure to tell ya'll about.  I had seen where one of my favorite musical groups of all time, the Cowboy Junkies, were coming to Nashville so I immediately bought 2 tickets.  They are from Toronto so don't get down this way very often and I didn't want to miss it.  So, Jack and I packed a few things and headed off to Tennessee for a couple of days.  I had seen them one other time about 21 years ago when I was in college and they were just becoming really popular on the alternative music scene.  They came to Sloss Furnaces in Birmingham, which is a cool old industrial site that they have turned into an arts center.  The resident blacksmith/ artist was a friend of the guy I was with at the time so we dropped into his studio to say 'hey!'.  Just by chance Margo Timmins and her brother Micheal, who you see on the stage in the photo above, were also in his studio and we talked briefly.  Mainly I gushed about what a huge fan I was of their music.
Now, fast forward 2 decades and Jack and I sitting in a nice restaurant about a block from the theater where this show is going to be.  I thought the people at the table right next to us looked familiar and lo and behold, it is Micheal and several of the other guys from the band and crew.  I couldn't believe that on both occasions I would run into them before the show but ya'll know me and my wacky coincidences.  We spoke to Micheal briefly on the street.  They are all super nice people.


After the show we were waiting for the parking lot to clear some before trying to get out and Margo came out to talk to anybody that might still be there.  Not a lot of people were actually, so in a few minutes she came over and chatted and signed one of their set list pages for me that they had given a few people. 



I told her about the incident so many years before and she fondly remembered that show and meeting the blacksmith and such.  Oh, the concert this time was wonderful.  She has a beautiful voice and if you've never listened to their music I would highly recommend you check it out. Plus, they are just such nice people.  And yes, the title of this post is one of their songs from the album of the same title.  One of my favorites I guess but it's really hard for me to pick many favorites of their work.  It's all great.
So, they played fairly late, which we figured, so Jack had gotten us a room near the Vanderbilt University area and we stayed overnight.


The next morning we packed up and went down to the Frist Center for the Arts, which is a cool old Art Deco style building.  This is not it.  This is at Union Station, next door to the Frist.  Union Station is an old train depot that I think is now a hotel and this restaurant where we had lunch.



Side view of Union Station.



Beautiful stained glass over the entryway.



Speaks for itself I guess.


We also went by one of the ceramic supply houses I use and picked up a few supplies and such for me.  Oh, we also went back to the Parthenon and got to go inside this time!  You may remember we went there about a year ago but just happen to be on a Monday when the interior is closed.  I'll try to remember to put those pics up soon.  Anyway, we had a great time; lots of fun and I got my cultural fix of art and music for a while.

8 comments:

Pablo said...

You really are the Queen of Coincidences.

My sister lives in Nashville. Did you happen to see her?

Ed said...

Can't say I have heard of the band but I have heard of the Parthenon in that part of the world and toured it a few years ago. Kind of neat place.

edifice rex said...

Hey Pablo! yeah, she was probably the lady I talked to while standing in the restroom line at intermission!
lol!

Hey Ed! yeah, it is a neat place. There is a lot more stuff on the inside than I thought.

HermitJim said...

Glad you had a chance to get some "culture" and meet up with old acquaintances!

Nothing like a little break once in a while!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sounds like you both has a nice getaway and is Jack also a fan? Coincidences are wonderful.

ErinFromIowa said...

I love it when you and Jack hit the road for another one of your adventures!
Listened to the song on YT and I enjoyed it.

edifice rex said...

Hey Jim! yep! everybody needs a little excursion for fun every so often!

Hey Bea! yes, Jack is a fan also but not as much as me. We generally don't have the same taste in music so it was great we both enjoyed this.

Hey ERin! I love it when we do too!! Glad you enjoyed the song.

Bone said...

Cowboy Junkies... I've heard of them, but don't think I've ever heard any of their music. I'm planning to spend a while on iTunes tonight, so I'll have to check them out.

Love Nashville.