Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cheap Tricks


It has taken quite a cool turn in the weather here lately so I thought I'd post a quick note to show some of my wedding plans progress while I'm waiting for it to warm up outside.  We have moved half of the cabinets outside onto the deck to apply the finish.  Even though I am using a natural beeswax finish I can't find a stain that doesn't have at least some odor to it.
So anyway, these are the invitations.  Now, I don't get any compensation from Vistaprint but they are who I used for these.  I use them for my business cards and such and noticed that they have a big selection of various invitations, so I took one of their basic templates and designed these.  They were having a special, which is common, and I ordered some more business cards and a few return address stickers so I got free shipping also.  With the special I got 30 invitations for right at $20 and this included the envelopes.  They are printed on pretty nice recycled paper too!  I did not like the wording options they gave but after searching around a little I found a website that was called something like, "Wedding Invitation Wording That Won't Make You Puke".  I loved their examples, and with that inspiration, came up with this.
Unfortunately, I guess because it is not the traditional RSVP, no one is bothering to let me know whether they're coming or not, so I guess it'll either be just me, Jack and my brother or a bunch of people that I didn't really think were going to be there.  I mean, seriously, how hard is it to email or something and say, "hey, I can't come or I can".?
I did decide to kinda splurge on the cake and got a local bakery down to make that.  I thought it was still a very reasonable price.  Of course, then my sister got insulted that I didn't ask her to make it.  Now, she chewed me out when I first started going out with Jack and generally ignores him at family events but somehow thought I would know she would be overjoyed to make my cake.  Wth?  At least my Mom is happy.  I guess.  What is it with weddings that brings out the rude in people?  Why do people pick that one day to forget all manners? 
I also think I found my wedding dress.  I looked and looked at many local shops and just couldn't find anything.  I finally looked at a large local thrift store and found a beautiful dress.  I think anyway.  Got it for $3.50.  Even if I find another I like better it's no money wasted and I can wear it elsewhere.

So, anyway, Jack and I are having fun and that's what counts.  Hopefully I'll be back soon with some more kitchen photos!

13 comments:

HermitJim said...

The main thing is that the day belongs to you and Jack! As far as the other folks...F*** 'em if they can't take a joke, ya know?

Wishing you both the very best of everything, my friend!

Ed said...

As much as I would like too, I won't be able to make it to your wedding. But I will be down in your neck of the woods around Christmas time. Perhaps if you are around, I can drop by with my family and say howdy.

edifice rex said...

Hey Jim! thanks man! what you said is pretty much my philosophy right there.

Hey Ed! Ooh, that would be great! Hopefully, I'll have the kitchen done by then and ya'll can see it in person!

ErinFromIowa said...

I love your invitations! So creative and personal to you all. Weddings just like any gathering bring you into contact with people you tend not to have much contact with. It's a given. Just chill and smile. It is your day. Own it. Sheryl Crow the Dixie Chicks just came on Pandora singing Strong Enough (Live). Fitting. Love the organ in that song.

Pablo said...

Sadly, I won't be able to make it, so when my invitation comes, I'll be sure to send you an email stating that.

I went to a niece's wedding earlier in the summer. Her family is about at the most opposite end of the political and social spectrum from where I am. I expected fireworks, but everyone was civil and cordial and gracious. I was surprised.

Don't let other people ruin your day (or your life together). Remember, it's only you and Jack that count!

Your oldest reader.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, you get to a spot in your life and they can like it or lump it, back up to a stump and bump it!!!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I'm glad you're having fun Annie, even if some people may be stressing you out. Like Jim said, F***' em. If Jim can say it, then so can I. lol. I'm really sorry to bother you with stuff, but I have a little bit more of a personal question for ya. I'm kinda wondering what kind of a flashing you used on your wood stove chimney on that metal roof if you have the time.

edifice rex said...

Hey Erin! thanks! I thought the invites came out pretty cool too! yeah, I'm not gonna let anything bother me. I am coool as a cucumber. lol!

Hey Pablo! you know, I started to send you and Libby an invite just on principle! wish you could make it.
Yes, Jack and I are too old and grumpy to let other people mess with us too much; we'll have fun regardless!

Hey Anon! LOL!! that is hysterical! My Mama always said the first part but left out the part about the stump! lol! that is so funny.

Hey Mark! that's right, if Jim can say it we all can! lol!
Hey, no problem on the flashing question and I'll answer you just as soon as I can remember what I did! lol! For the life of me I can't remember but I know it does have flashing. I have looked back through tons of posts too but can't find that I ever posted about it. I'll get you some pictures soon. It's no problem.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Now Annie, don't go injuring yourself climbing around on your roof right before the big day on my account. I'd feel pretty guilty about things. lol. I was looking around your blog for it. All I can assume is you did something illegal and did'nt want to advertise maybe. Happens to me all the time. lol.

Floridacracker said...

As long as the bride and groom show up, it's a wedding.

$3.50 for a wedding dress!
I have 2 daughters, so I'm making a note of that bit of wisdom.

edifice rex said...

Hey Mark! ha! no, i won't go gettin' myself hurt but I'll get up there and see. You may be partially right about the non-code but it's on the height on my chimney! lol! I know the flashing is right on; whatever we did! Probably I just forgot to post about it though because that sure seems like something I would want to show.

Hey FC! Well, something tells me your daughters might not be quite as enamored with a $3.50 dress as I was! lol!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great to see the invite and read about all the plans, Annie. Sure wish we were in your part of the country to at least wish you and Jack all the best. We're starting a weeklong Blue Ridge road trip that day so will toast you while on the road. But, we're thinking about a southern road trip come Jan-Feb so maybe one day. As far as folks not replying to invites, it happens, and eve when folks do say they're coming they can be a no-show as happened with my mom's recent 90th bday party after we gave a count to the restaurant. Yeah on thrift store shopping, which is where I got the dress worn to our younger daughter's May wedding. Loved the invite too!

farmer_liz said...

I haven't been keeping up with your blog, I didn't notice you were getting married until I read this one, yay, how exciting, hope you have a lovely day and don't worry about everyone else. We also had many people wanting to "help" with inappropriate ideas, you just need to remember that its your day and do what you want :) love the invitations!