Friday, September 07, 2012

In The Spirit Of Things


Yesterday marked the 1 month countdown for the wedding so it was time for the very old Southern tradition of  "burying the bourbon".  In an effort to have some fun and get away from the store-bought, same old humdrum wedding, we are incorporating several old but almost forgotten traditions to add a little life.  According to this tradition, if you are planning an outdoor wedding, you must bury a bottle of true bourbon, upside down, in the area of the ceremony exactly one month before the actually day.  This assures that you will have nice weather for your wedding!  Of course, it's just done for fun but it doesn't hurt if it works!  So, Jack picked this large tulip poplar by the house and dug the hole.  


 A favorite brand!  I mostly just took pictures because my back is still messed up.  We did put the bottle in a plastic bag so as to keep it a little cleaner, hopefully.


And in the hole ya go!  I'm not sure why it has to be upside down but whatever!  Then we both covered it back up and put a rock on top to mark the spot.
We picked our rings up the other day and I'll show ya'll those also.  A guy I went to college with made them for us so they are unique.  Now, I just have to find something to wear! 

10 comments:

HermitJim said...

Heck, just make it an all natural wedding...sans clothes! That ought to get some attention!

Just don't forget where the bottle is buried! I never heard of this custom, but it is pretty cool!

edifice rex said...

Hey Jim! LOL!! yeah, that would get some attention alright! lol!
well, considering my brother is going to be doing the officiating I think we'll wear our clothes. But, after it's over with...anything goes!!! lol!

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I'm glad to see you guys are having some fun with the preperations and all that. You know, if I were a little closer, I would maybe crash the wedding. lol. Sounds to me like it's going to be a special one.

edifice rex said...

Hey Mark! well, if you were closer I'd invite you and then you wouldn't have to crash! lol!

Floridacracker said...

Lets hope it sprouts and you get a bourbontree growing in your yard.

edifice rex said...

Hey FC! Wooo, wouldn't that be great!
lol!

Ed said...

That is pretty neat about the bourbon. I haven't a clue as to why upside down though. We had a non-traditional wedding too. One of the things we did was inviting everyone to a tree planting ceremony the following day and we planted an orchard on my parents farm as 'wedding favors'. Everyday I walk past the orchard, it reminds me of all the friends and family that were at our wedding.

fishy said...

Congratulations!
You know for sure one good thing is going to happen on your wedding day! The drinks will be your favorite maker.

Best wishes for the dress search.

edifice rex said...

Hey Ed! What a great idea on the orchard! that's pretty cool. I had thought about small potted plants or small pieces of my pottery for the 'favors'.

Hey Fishy! that's right! lol! thanks!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Not familiar with this custom, but then we are not truly southerners, just =transplants from the east coast (NJ). I know that brand and it's a good one so sure hope you don't lose track of the bottle's burial spot. Hope this guarantees a rain-free day for the event.