Friday, October 26, 2012

Still Taking The Long Way Home...

I know ya'll are probably getting sick of seeing wedding/ honeymoon/ travel photos but I have just a few more to inflict upon you!  I'll get it over with pretty quickly I promise and get back to gardening/ chicken raising/ DIY stuff.!
So, after we left Dunnellon and the Rainbow Springs area, we headed for Cedar Key.  Now, those of you who also read Pure Florida know this is the often written about stomping grounds of the adventurous Florida Cracker!  And guess who we actually met!!










Of course, if you also read Pure Florida, you've probably already seen his post on our meeting! lol!  Anyway, FC was at the Cedar Key Seafood Festival selling his wonderful clam chowder (which is really good) to raise money for his science department, so we naturally scarfed down a few cups.  And numerous other seafood delights too!  Due to FC being a vendor, however, we didn't have much opportunity to visit with him unfortunately, but we did get to chat for a little bit.  As he mentioned in his post, it is a bit of an odd thing, although happily so, to finally meet someone in the flesh that you have "known" for so long.  I estimate FC and I have read each other's blog for about 6 years now, so we have seen each other's lives change; seen a lot of each other's joys and sorrows.  The cyber world can be a wondrous thing.  Or horribly embarrassing (for me), I haven't decided which yet..LOL!


We also got to finally meet our good friends Myamuhnative, a regular commenter here, and her sister Julie.  They very graciously showed us around the seafood festival and we got to spend a fair amount of time chatting before we had to leave in time to make it to our next destination.  We also found our one purchased souvenir in one of the Cedar Key art galleries, so that was nice.



FloridaCracker dishing his tasty clam chowder!  And yes, as he mentioned, I immediately stuck my foot in my mouth, dork that I am, by exclaiming that I thought he would have been taller. LOL!  He just seems larger than life on his blog! 


So, we reluctantly took off for more northern destinations and made it to St. George's Island by that evening.  I had never been here before but Jack had many years ago before they made the eastern part of the island a State Park.
These are views from a 5 mile hike we did through the park and out to the shore.


Very pretty.


This is Jack being dramatic after we had reached the shore and halfway mark of the hike.  We did pass a few other hikers but as far as I could tell we were the only people out here on the shore. 


While we were lounging here we saw a bald eagle flying overhead!  It was my first sighting of one in the wild.


There were tons of these butterflies flitting about in waves practically.  I've been to a couple of those "butterfly gardens" you know, where they have captured butterflies in buildings.  Those places had nothing on this area.  We would occasionally spot a Monarch in with these Gulf Fritillary and numerous other types also.


Our last morning on St. George's.


The lighthouse as we were leaving...

9 comments:

HermitJim said...

Always nice to meet folks face to face, isn't it?

Beautiful looking weather around there! Nice to have that one beach all to yourselves!

Lisa in Bammer said...

Sounds like you are having a great time and I am so jealous! I'm glad you got to see the bald eagle too. I live in the country and am fortunate enough to have one that lives close by. He sits in a dead tree by a pond to do his hunting. I've gotten pictures of him but the sight of him in flight is just something a picture can't capture. Be safe coming home.

Rurality said...

I imagined FC being pretty tall, too. I think the "larger than life" idea is right!

But, you know you could see a bald eagle at your house. We have, and you're closer to the lake than we are, aren't you? (They nest there.) I will keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Myamuhnative said...

We were sorry that you had to leave so soon, but it sure looks like St. George's was a great idea.
Gonna have to add it to the list of places to visit!

edifice rex said...

Hey Jim! yeah, the weather was great while we were there, thankfully! It was cooler than Longboat but still nice.

Hey Lisa! yes, we had a great time! how cool is it that you have a local eagle though! wow!

Hey Rurality! you know, I never thought about the Lake, duh!! I'm ashamed to say we don't go out there much so it never occurred to me. As the crow flies we might be a little closer..

Hey Mya! yes, St. George's was very nice, although honestly, I think St. Andrews is prettier.

Wally Jones said...

Glad you took the "scenic route" back home! Looks like some good memories were made.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Meeting fellow bloggers is really great and we have enjoyed meeting several recently. Glad you and Jack are having such a wonderful trip and looks like wonderful weather too. The scenic route may be slower, but always works the best for us too on our road trips. Hope the tooth is aching less.

Floridacracker said...

Annie,
I wish I had been free to sit down over a beer with you all. There is an art festival in the spring too, so who knows? You may stuck in a booth there too one day! LOL
You two certainly found a gorgeous beach on the way home.
Awesome.

edifice rex said...

Hey Wally! yeah, we're glad we did too! it was great!

Hey Bea! yeah, the tooth is much better, thank goodness.

Hey FC! yeah, chatting over a beer would have been great! We'll probably mosey down that way again one day I'm sure!
St. George's was great; very nice place.