Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Island Girl


A couple of months ago Jack's family had made plans for a get together in Mobile, AL, which is their hometown, so a brief little vacation for us was nice since things have been a little crappy lately.  We took off early Friday morning and immediately got stuck in a traffic jam in Birmingham.  After about an hour of sitting in traffic we finally were able to get off the highway and by taking some back roads, got back on below the snarl.  We made pretty good time after that.
The photo above was taken as we were getting close to Mobile.  I have always loved these big steel bridges.


It's just a cool design I guess.


Seems like the photos never do the span and scale justice though.


We spent Friday night at Jack's brother's house and then ended up heading for Dauphin Island come Saturday morning.  Jack's niece had rented a house for the week and was gracious enough to invite us all down there for the day and into Sunday.  This photo above is on the bridge going to Dauphin Island.


The weather was absolutely beautiful Saturday and we had a great time.  I swam and just kicked back on the beach for a few hours.  That afternoon Jack and I went kayaking on the sound side of the island, which is much calmer waters.  That was a lot of fun too.  We were going to go floundering but a big storm came in about sundown so that put the kibosh on those plans.  Maybe next time.  Sunday morning saw more storms coming in so we all headed for the hills and Jack and I made it home about 4:00 in the afternoon.  The chickens were overjoyed to see us.
The Curse of Crappiness resurfaced the night we got home but for a couple of days things were pretty good.  I immersed myself in salt water, indulged my taste for raw oysters and let the sun shine upon me.  The oysters were a treat from Jack and I got a little too much sun but it was all nice at any rate.

8 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad you and Jack were able to have a getaway, even if Mother Nature cut it a bit short. Those steel bridges always amaze me too, but oysters are not a favorite...now crabs are a different story. Hope the crappiness is only temporary.

edifice rex said...

Hey Bea! Oh, I love crabs too!! probably more than oysters but we didn't get a chance to go out to eat.

Baby Sis said...

Love the picture of the beach and waves. I live about an hour from Galveston, but not what I would call the beach. Am heading next month to the clear water and white sands of Florida, and am currently obsessed with ocean views.Looking forward to my getaway.

I always enjoy your posts, even if you don't know that I'm here ~

edifice rex said...

Hey Sis! Well, I'm glad you enjoy the blog and appreciate any time you comment. Hope you have a great time in Florida! The beaches there are beautiful.

Floridacracker said...

Hey Annie,
Amazing what seawater can do. Glad you and Jack had a fun get-a-way.

edifice rex said...

Hey FC! thanks! Yeah, we had a nice time and hope to get over to Florida later in the year.

LaBoshell said...

Hey Annie...you know Chris is from Mobile and he always calls that bridge the "Dolly Parton bridge." I thought he was joking until we were staying in Mobile over Thanksgiving and I overheard the local news anchor call it that too! Colloquialisms can be so funny yet inappropriate. ; )

edifice rex said...

Hey Lisa! Ha!! that is so funny! I had never heard it referred to that way. But, I can see how it got that nickname. :D