Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream

That a blind man came and dug two large holes in my yard and charged me $400.00 to do it. And then I realized that it was not a dream at all but really happened and that was my perc test! Well, there was a little more to it than that but I did finally have the perc test done although I still have not received the results back from the county. What you do is call a surveyor and tell them what you want, they will come out and locate approximately where the septic tank and field lines will go and then dig 2 or 3 holes with a backhoe. Now, in the past, the surveyor actually does the whole test but something must have changed because he only prepared the hole for the county who came out about 2 days later and actually performed the test. What they do is fill the holes with a certain amount of water and time how long it takes the hole to empty. Too fast or too slow can both be a problem. The surveyor said my dirt looked good and should not be a problem. Then the surveyor files this at the courthouse and the county will contact you and tell you how many feet of field line etc. that you must put in. Here, we can put in our own system but I don't know what it is like in other states. Some may require that a certified company do it. Anyway, after the septic system is in you have to call the county again and they will come out and look at everything and if it is OK you can cover everything up and proceed! As in all cases when hiring a contractor, please call at least 3 to get a price! We got prices from $400-$600. This guy was a bargain and yes, he had a guy with him who dug the holes that was legally blind.

2 comments:

Omelay said...

most of the poeple that live in this part of the ozarks have always done everything for themselves--it's a poverty thing. the precedence is set and outside of city boundaries people are usually left to their own devices. times are changing though. luckily, our little farmstead just meets the minimum criteria to be grandfathered in under most bureaucratic concerns.

gardening has stolen every free second during reasonable daylight hours--i will call soon.

MamaHen said...

Hey Karl! That's Ok; I understand the gardening thing. I've been sneaking in what I can too. I've been working so much lately and running supply errands too that I have not been getting home lately until 7:30 or 8:00 anyway. I am trying to compile a little list of questions for you though.