Monday, May 11, 2015

I Get Knocked Down (But I Get Up Again)


   So, we had a beautiful 3-day weekend for the show in a very pretty area only about 30 minutes from the house.  And it was a disaster.  I won't say a total disaster, because I barely managed to make back my entry fee, gas and food, but it was a disaster from every other view.  The show had changed quite a bit from the last time I did it and I was not aware of this.  Should have done more research on my part I guess.  It appeared that people, the few that came, were mainly just looking for a nice, pretty place to enjoy a long stroll while eating a little snack food.  And buy a little SOS to keep the kids quite.  In case you are wondering, SOS is show slang for "shit on a stick"; the utter, worthless crap some vendors sell to cater to kids and relieve Mom and Dad of a dollar or two.  So, it was horrible.  I'll never go back and the next promising show within a reasonable distance is not until September.

But, this is just the impetus I need to stop trying to do these crap shows and focus on doing only legitimate art-centered shows.  Plus, I've now got a whole lot of inventory to get out to my retail stores and maybe even enough to pick up a new store I've had my eye on.  I'm trying very hard to maintain a non-crappy attitude.  Crap happens.

 Unfortunately, all the physical effort of the past few weeks, combined with sitting a good deal at this show has got my back and SI joint severely inflamed and I am in quite a bit of pain right now.  This really doesn't help matters, as you all know my attitude generally goes to shit when I'm hurting badly.  However, on a good note, I may have found out, medically speaking, exactly why my attitude goes to shit.  I found some very interesting studies done lately that I'll tell ya'll about later.  It's very depressing in one respect, as my condition will probably get worse as I get older, but gives me hope in another respect, because I might can do more to counter things if I know what is physically happening to me.

So, I'll try to post again soon, when I feel a little better.  I'm taking a few days off to recuperate and get caught up on a few things around here, like to finish planting the garden.  I washed 3 loads of clothes today and still am not done!  Got to clean house a bit too and get my studio back in a reasonable order.
See you soon!

9 comments:

JO said...

Well that totally sucks for you. I feel bad that this happened but at least you know and have plenty of stuff got the stores.

Take it easy and rest up feel better soon

Anonymous said...

Well, foo! As you say, now you know, but of course aggravating to expend a bunch of energy and health on it. Your booth/tent looks fantastic -- wish I had been within striking distance.

Anon - R.

HermitJim said...

Just remember...what don't kill ya, makes you stronger!

Things will get better soon, I'm sure!

ErinFromIowa said...

Well! That sucks lemons big time! Yet you are turning it around to the positive side. You picked the perfect song title. ;)
Your entire booth looks great. The rug draws your eye and gives a serene vibe.

Ed said...

We used to have an arts and crafts show in my home county that drew artisans from all the surrounding states. I remember in its glory days of being able to walk all day and never run out of booths of people selling their creations. I went back a few years ago and it has turned into a flea market about a fourth the size it originally was. I think I only saw two booths where people were selling something they made. Perhaps it is just a sign of the times.

Sixbears said...

My landlandy back in the late 90s used to load up her truck and drive from VT to CA for a show. She worked in stained glass. Used to make most of her nut for the year that way. One year the show changed and she didn't even cover expenses.

Stuff like that happens, and it's not fun at all. At least you didn't drive clear across the country.

Pablo said...

Your show experience seems close to my race experience. Some are just not worth it, and the ones that are, take a lot of preparation.

I am sorry to hear that your condition is going to get worse. If it's any consolation, Jim Morrison did point out that none of us gets out of this alive.

MamaHen said...

Hey Jo! thanks! yeah, it's all a learning thing again since I've been away from the shows for so long. But I think it'll get better.

Hey R! thanks! I thought the setup looked pretty good. But it still needs a few touches. And yeah, aggravating about sums it up.

Hey Jim! thanks! I should be very strong by now! lol!

Hey Erin! thanks! I thought the rug was a nice touch too.

Hey ed! Well, there are still good shows like the one you first described. You just have to really check them out first. We have several really good ones (still) here in the state but there is much competition to get in.

Hey Sixbears! Oh man, that would have been worse than awful! Yeah, I'm very fortunate the show was only 30 minutes away; very little expenses. It can always be worse!

Hey Pablo! Yeah, that's about the jist of it.
And Jim has always been a favorite of mine! lol! The birth defect part shouldn't get much worse but the arthritis-like condition in my back and joint will most likely get worse. It's hard to stop bones from degrading once they start. :(

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That show was a sucky one, I agree. And whike we have done craft shows ourselves, I never heard the SOS term or maybe just never listened well enough. We also had shows where we barely covered expenses and some not at all. It was fun for awhile, but then became tiring so we never missed giving it up. Grenville still has some of his hand tools around, but doesn't plan on doing any wood carvings for now at least