Sunday, November 10, 2013

Simple


  I had seen this PVC pipe chicken feeder on the web and I thought he'd give it a try because the girls just seemed to throw so much out of the standard feeders you buy at the store. I had tried a couple different sizes and stuff but they still threw food everywhere.  They would often clean it up off the concrete but still, I'd rather they not eat dirty food.  So far, these are working great.  The parts are pretty cheap, you might even have most of the stuff laying around, and it's easy to put together.  HERE is directions if you want to try one and because I am too lazy right now to take ours apart and take pictures etc. etc.  It's pretty straight forward. 


Here's another view in use.  The girls took right to it and you can see there is no mess on the floor.  Now, that's not to say they don't occasionally throw a little out but it's nothing like what they used to do.  Only problem is only one chicken at a time can eat, so you might want to make more than one but they take turns or just peck the one when they feel they've waited long enough.



This was the other non-conventional thing I wanted to show ya'll.   This was all my doing, or thinking and me and Allen did the toting.  I have had this object for some time but only now had to make room for it in the house somewhere.  After a little head scratching I decided it made the perfect table, bench combo.  Three guesses as to what the object originally was.  Well, it still is the object but no longer functions in that capacity.  It is made of full 1 3/8" totally clear white pine planks, about 12x14 inches wide.  I don't know that you can even get wood like this anymore so that is one reason I insisted on saving this.  It fits in perfectly and makes a great conversation piece.  And yes, don't look at the ugly floors!!  One day I will have finish hardwood floors down.

On another note: some people have been asking so I wanted to post a little update on the health stuff.  Basically, I'm still waiting on test results.  I went in last Monday to have a bunch more blood drawn and the tech said some of those tests that had been ordered for me can take up to a full week to return.  I hope I know something soon!  I guess whatever makes blood in your body is the one thing working great in me because they've sucked so much out lately I'd be in rough shape otherwise!  Once again the trip to Kirklin was pleasant (well, you know what I mean) and those people are SO nice.  I mean, even the parking lot attendants.  I bet they make all those people take classes on being nice or something and it's all amazingly efficient.  I've never waited very long for anything. 
I was feeling a little better but then seem to have maybe had a bit of a relapse on the fatigue lately.  Everything just tires me out.  I had been trying to get back to my pottery but have finally decided just to take it easy.  The stress of being so behind for the holiday season seemed to even be making me worse so I just said the heck with it.  I wanted to have a studio open house and such but it's just too much at this point.  I just try to putter around and do a little each day but nothing too strenuous.  I absolutely HATE being like this but sometimes you just gotta let go I guess.

10 comments:

Pablo said...

I like the sound of that positive spirit that seems to have crept into your post. I also love that chicken feeder, and the whatever-it-was bench you've repurposed.

Take it as easy as you want. You know we're all right behind you.

Rich said...

If I had my smart-ass hat on, I would say that your combo table-bench used to be a tree.

But when I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, I would say that it sure looks like it used to be some sort of column in it's former life.

Caddie said...

I guessed a column also. The feeder, very innovative, got my wishbones creaking again for chickens. Unable to care well for my self though, much less chickens and other charges, just tees me off; my 'want-to-do gene is strong and prominent still.
Sure hope a positive solution is soon found for your ailments, Annie. Fatigue and pain "suck"!

ErinFromIowa said...

I love your table/bench and the plants too!

Anonymous said...

I'll guess that it is an auger shaft for an old grain mill.

Ed said...

Woody beat me to my guess too though I would have guessed one with a paddle conveyor instead of an auger.

I remember tearing down a large barn once that had real dimension 2 x 16" oak planks used to side an internal corn crib. We saved every one of those planks and eventually re-purposed them all but it was hard because they weren't the same size as today's lumber and you couldn't drive a nail through them to save your life. Everything had to be drilled first!

Ed said...

Forgot to say this but that is a nice chicken feeder!

Caroline said...

I wonder if a totally scaled down model might not keep the parakeets that live in my computer room from throwing seed everywhere!

MamaHen said...

Hey Pablo! thank you...:)

Hey Rich! ha! well, okay, technically you'd be right on the tree part. but not the other!

Hey Sissy! good to hear from you! yes, fatigue and pain do suck! I hope to be rid of them soon.

Hey Erin! thanks!

Hey Woody! nope! interesting guess tho.

Hey Ed! thanks! Yeah, I love wood like that but it can be a pain to work with. worth it though.

Hey Caroline! it very well may!

Jack said...

Jack:
To qualify those pvc chicken feeders a bit. Ours are constructed with THIN wall, 4 inch pvc. I chose lengths of about 36 inches or so. You need to get the 4 inch thin wall, 8 foot will do. Cut to length. For each feeder you need two thin wall 4 inch caps and one thin wall 45 degree angle. Assemble without glue. The stuff fits fine and does not need to be waterproof. This makes it easy to take apart and clean. You use the shortest piece of thin wall tube that will work to add to the bottom of the 45 angle piece. To this add a cap. You want it short to keep the feed hole on the 45 as low as possible. More on this later. On the top use another cap and load the feed by removing the top cap. Add a short length of 4 inch to the 45 angle that the chicks stick their heads into to eat. This helps control the spills. This short length ends up being about 1 to 1 1/2 inch. Too long and they can't get to the feed. Too short and it might as well not be there.
Another issue is that the whole thing on the bottom with the feed hole in the 45 ends up being high enough that the hens can just reach into to eat. This works for normal height hens, full grown. If the hens are shorties or young you might have to add a step up block to help them out. It would have to be at least 1 1/2 feet square. Or, if you have dirt under the feeder you could bury the bottom a few inches. As Annie said, these things are not expensive so several could be made to help out with the rush. With our two it has worked out OK with 22 hens.