Tuesday, August 21, 2018

A Whole Lot More To Me

Hey-O Folks!  I'm still kickin'.  Just thought I'd drop a quick post per the usual.  I'm doing pretty good.  Still experimenting with my prescriptions and getting the right dosage and balance for me.  I went back to my Neurologist in May for my 6 month check in and he said it was just a matter of trying different dosages and timing to see what works best because everyone is so different with Parkinson's.  I think I'm finally making a little progress though.  The stiffness and pain had gotten so bad I had to do something and basically my options are kinds limited right now to drugs and exercise.  He did give me a much stronger muscle relaxer to try but it didn't do any good.  I tried it multiple times and it just never seemed to do anything.  Well, it made me fuzzy-headed and I hate that, so unless it really helped the pain I'm not taking that.  And it didn't.  Just upping my Sinemet and trying to stay moving more often seems to have done more than anything.  The effect is not immediate; it takes several days before anything is noticeable but it does seem to be helping.

A couple of days ago Allen and I took a trip up to Guntersville to see the Outdoor Alabama photo exhibit. I just needed to get out and do something fun.  This is the exhibit that my butterfly photo won a spot in.  So that was nice.  It's no big deal but just a nice thing in an otherwise fairly crappy last year. We also had a nice, quiet meal at a restaurant in Guntersville and then went up to the lodge at the state park, which is where the exhibit is right now.  The weather was great and Guntersville State Park is super nice. We walked around the camp grounds too.  They have a nice beach and I would really like to do some camping there some day.  They have tons of hiking options and all kinds of stuff.


This was after a really horrible day in which my lovey Zuzu passed away.  She had been sick for about 2 weeks and I thought was making some progress in getting better.  Well, she had made great progress in one area but then got sour crop, which can be very difficult, and I just didn't catch it in time.  I did finally realize what was going on and treat her for it but it was too much I guess.  At least she died sudden and I did not have to put her down, thank God.  She was just the biggest personality of any chicken and was so smart and funny.  I will miss her so much.


I have taken in 2 other rescue chickens in the past couple of weeks also.  I'll tell you about those soon.  They are doing really well.  Chigger and Callie the cat are doing well also.

I was also able to get a new laptop, which has made working online infinitely easier than what I had before.  The old laptop I had ran on Windows 7 and was right on the verge of dying.  They stopped supporting 7 back at the first of the year and it was just a matter of time.  That thing was so slow it took me forever to get anything done.  Now I can go pretty fast and it has helped my sales and ways to make money online.  So, I'm doing okay.  I mean, I built a house out of my pocket...I'm not a moron and I am resourceful.  Plus, these days there are lots of avenues in making money by working at home.  I do occasionally work a little for some folks but I'm still having trouble with so much pain and fatigue that working an 8 hour job is very difficult.  At home I can rest and then work later when I have recovered some.  Of course, I hope to improve and expand my means of working but it takes some time, especially when struggling so much with feeling bad.  But I will do it.  I will keep fighting.

Another interesting note is that I recently spoke to a cousin of mine and he appears to also have Parkinson's.  He hasn't been officially diagnosed yet but it looks pretty certain. I know I have mentioned that I had 2 uncles with Parkinson's.  Well, this cousin is the son of one of those uncles' twin brother.  That make sense?  Apparently, it is heavy in our genes.  So, that's crappy.  I hope to get into some research trials somewhere in the area; probably at UAB.  They are making some great progress these days in the research and if nothing else, maybe I can be of some help there.  I've got to do something.

6 comments:

Linda said...

It is good to hear from you so we know you are well and kicking. Finding out something runs in the family is a double-edged sword. Cancer runs in my family on one side and heart disease on the other. Lovely! Maybe uAB needs a family to study. Sorry about your chicken dying. My favorite died of something and suddenly after she was sickly for a bit. The trip to Guntersville sounds like a nice diversion. I really am impressed with your butterfly photo. I need a way to make some money! Good luck on your efforts there.

ErinFromIowa said...

So happy to hear from you! I call getting things done when you are able to, at the speed you can handle, #babystepping.

Ed said...

My grandfather battled Parkinson's so you have my sympathies. I hope you get your medicine balanced out.

Now I am patiently waiting for the outcome of the "coming to Jesus meeting" with the rat in your chicken coop.

Molly said...

So good to see you up and about doing what you can Annie. Your photo is gorgeous!

HermitJim said...

I am so glad to hear ya again, my friend! I know how difficult things can get at times, but just know that many of us out here are behind you all the way.

MamaHen said...

Hey Linda! thank you! Yeah, finding out genetic issues is good and bad; I guess you just have to focus on the good and how knowing can help.

Hey Erin!! Good to hear from you! I hope you are doing well.

Hey ed! thanks! I think I am making some progress on the meds, finally. Well, the rat saga continues! lol! We had another free-for-all the other night. This time though, he was screaming more than me! I'll get those little turds yet.

Hey Molly!! thank you! I'm trying!