Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Someone Out There


Lately I've been musing over the process of how we go about trying to meet people these days and I've noticed a stark difference between now and my younger days. Perhaps I was very starry-eyed in my youth but there seemed a certain mystique to courtship back then. I guess that is just the way we chose, or more likely were taught, to view it. Now, at my age, it seems the process is something not entirely unlike purchasing a horse. Is his back still holding up? Does he kick or bite? Has he been gelded and does all his, umm, 'equipment' still function? Not that there's no romance to it now, but I think practicality has become a much higher priority and considering my circumstances are a little different than most women, I find myself scrutinizing men over the craziest things. Does he give me ample reason to believe he can outwork me? Did he gaze too longingly at my welding machine? The hell with him looking at other women, he better not get it in his head he's going to hog Big Red. That's my machine buddy!

Have I been alone too long and had to do for myself so much that now, any man that comes to sway my heart must complete a series of labors that would make Hercules sink to his knees in despair? No mythical beast slaying here, just help me split that cord of firewood, make yourself presentable enough to attend some hoity-toity art gallery event, all the while assuring me that my art is surely better than anything else like it you see. Oh, and keep your damn boots off the coffee table.








*Cowboy Junkies

12 comments:

Caddie said...

Now I'm confused; is Mouse and Daddy Rabbit one and the same?

I'm jealous. The nature pictures are so nice; (Give us some more, Annie) and here I am unable to take my own. Oh, the things I see and wish to capture on MY camera. One day, some day. Keep on keeping on having fun.

MamaHen said...

Hey Sissy! sorry to get you confused. No, Mouse is a man I met from TN and Daddy Rabbit is a superintendent that works for the same company I do. We just happen to go to a job in TN lately for work.
Hopefully you will get a camera soon or get yours to work with your computer. I'll try to put up some more of the area here.

HermitJim said...

Always good to get a small insight into how your mind works, Lady!

I like the way you approach it...and life in general! Bet that guy is waiting somewhere just around the corner!

Thanks or the great post, and the really nice pictures!

Loretta said...

Beautiful pictures! I had to LOL at the kick or bite remark. There has to be someone as special out there as you are. You'll find him when you least expect it.

Beau said...

Beautiful pictures... and thoughts. I really like how you write about what you like, and the misgivings you have along the way. The same things so many of us think and feel, yet perhaps quite so openly. By the way- you could write books and have readers hooked from the very beginning :)

R.Powers said...

You are a fascinating creature, Annie.
I enjoyed this post.

MamaHen said...

Hey Jim! well, i'm not sure if insight into my mind are good or not! lol! good for entertainment purposes i guess! thanks tho and glad you enjoyed it.

Hey Loretta! thanks! good to hear from you again.

Hey Beau! well, thanks so much. i was beginning to think maybe i should not have published that one but then you write such a comment and i'm glad i did. makes me feel good.

Hey FC! i not a critchure! haha! remember the ol' Earnest T. Bass episode on Andy Griffith?
only i don't throw rocks through windows.
thanks, bud.

Omelay said...

it took me a long time to find my lovely wife. it happened when i least expected it, in fact i resisted it most of the way. on my recommendation she moved several hundred miles away. i thought she was too young for me. eventually i realized that she was perfect for me and chased her down.

i have been an extremely different man for each relationship--there have been plenty. i believe that i am the best man that i can be because of my wife. the way we react toward and respect each other makes it work. when that doesn't work we just forgive and forget. i'm not trying to give any sage advice but relay how it happened for me. those positive healthy relationship interactions simply seem natural now, where they were not before. for the most part i was probably considered broken to most women.

i guess what i'm trying to say is; keep an open mind, a good woman is the best catalyst for a good man..

countrypeapie said...

Annie, I loved this post, along with everyone else's comments about it.

MamaHen said...

Hey karl! thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful comment; it's very interesting. I would have never thought that you ever resisted being with Tabitha. Funny how things turn out. And one thing I really am trying to do is keep an open mind about things and people I meet. I have often thought that most people would consider me 'broken' too.

Hey Pea! thanks! yeah, everybody had some good comments.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Aww! finding a significant other.
I am not in the hunt although my equipment still shoots straight.

In spite of myself. a school friend from a life time ago found me and has decided I'm the one.

She is a lovely person. She also is very well off financially which makes me more nervous that anything else. I am a pauper and for her "Money is no problem". Can I be the Canadian gigolo and continue to like myself. When she get back from her vacation in China, we will make plans for New Year's in Belgium and later a trip to Britain, all on her dime. Can I accept this? Keeps, me up at night.

The questions that come up about mate selection when you get older are different.

MamaHen said...

Hey Philip! yeah, the questions do change!
well, I'd give it a go!; can't hurt to have a little company for a while anyway.