Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Maybe This Christmas

The window is getting very close to completion. All the glass has been cut and assembled so I just have to start soldering all the joints now. Rain is coming in this afternoon so I'll be working on it then.
Some of the traditions associated with a few of the later days of Christmas are a little sketchy. It all depends on where you are reading as to what you are supposed to observe but as the old year ends, the theme that prevails is that of taking care of unfinished business. Most societies take one day for getting in touch with old friends that you have not spoken to in some time. You know, everybody always has someone on their mind and they say, "oh, I need to call them, we need to catch up!" Well, today is the day. This day is often used to contact estranged loved ones and friends especially and try to make amends. Apologize to anyone you think you may have offended or hurt during the year.
This year was a little unusual for me in that I had many old friends contact me, often times from 20 years ago. It was wonderful to see most of them. As a matter of fact, I had a wonderful, long visit with a friend yesterday that I went through junior and high school with. We had talked some over the past couple of years but had not seen each other in person in about 22 years. The interesting thing was that, other than us both having some gray hair and several degrees behind our names now, it was just like when we were in school! I've always thought I have changed much since those years but he didn't seem to think so and he was still Dave. There is something comforting about having people in your life that have known you for so long. We laugh about the stupid things we did as kids. We sigh and wonder and are grateful that we've made it as far and as well as we have. They know a lot of our mistakes but they say, 'well, that's not near as bad as what I did that time.....' and it makes us feel better.
So, pick up that phone and call someone. I'm sure they'll be happy to hear from you.

*Leigh Nash

4 comments:

Pablo said...

I'm going to love seeing that window once you install it. There's something about colored glass that just fascinates me. (Also, talented people fascinate me.)

HermitJim said...

It's always good to get in contact with old friends!

You're right about the memories coming back in a flood...!

So many of my old friends are moved on to the next adventure now. Just a part of life!

The window is really looking good, lady!

Caroline said...

Bet the sunshine streaming through that window will be just gorgeous!

MamaHen said...

Hey Pablo! I'm going to love seeing it installed too! :D

Hey Jim! thanks!
yes, i have several friends and many family that have gone on to the next adventure; all the more reason to talk to the ones we have.

Hey Caroline! I hope so! i think it will tho!