Monday, January 11, 2010

Looking For Changes

Now, I hope you all understand that much of that last post was written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek!
Anyway, we got bigger problems to solve now! I need you all to speak up and give me your honest opinion on this dilemma. Look at the trim pieces on the top of the windows there; you see how the trim on the window on the left is more narrow than the one on the right? (the top edge of the trim is not at the same height as the other window) Now, because of the size of the window and spacing etc., I can't change the size of the trim on the sides but Mouse says I should make the header piece the same height as all the other windows, so that the top elevation of the trimmed out windows is all the same. This is as I have it now and.....

this is with a piece put on the header to make it the same as the other windows. So, this way I would have 2 1/2" wide trim on the sides and a 5" tall piece of trim on the top. I know there is a little notch missing there but just ignore that. What do you think? Do you think this makes the header look top heavy or unbalanced? I know some of you work in design, architectural and otherwise so let's have it....If it makes any difference, the bottom trim piece is the same as all the other windows.
I finished installing the siding all the way up on the wall to the right, so I just lack this side around the bathroom window and I can't go any further until I install the permanent header. I await your opinions.


*Paul McCartney

17 comments:

Jenn said...

Erm. I'm not sure your exact question (I've had a whack day and it's showing.)

I would extend the header such that it has the same distance from edge of trim 'out' as the others.

That is, if it extends an inch past the window side trim to the right and the left of the others, then you match that distance.

Does that make sense?

I think what you have shown (it's HARD to ignore that notch) is what I am saying.

Hope that helps?

MamaHen said...

Hey Jenn! ok, I had not worded things correctly so I went back and rewrote some of it; maybe what I'm asking is a little more clear now.
I know that notch is hard to ignore! :D I just didn't want to cut another piece of trim! lol!

ErinFromIowa said...

Not an expert here but the second photo just looks better to my eye. He he... I am a have to straighten everything on the walls type or it annoys my "eye". lol

Omelay said...

i also like the second photo with the thicker header. it looks planned. the narrower wall just looks compressed and balanced given the space.

Eutychus2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eutychus2 said...

My wife would shudder to think I'm giving an opinion on this, but I think the second photo looks fine. So mark me down as one who says, 'good job' don't over tax the issue. congratulations on your work!

pablo said...

I prefer the matching look. Most eyes will be fooled by the trim, and those who do notice the asymmetry will understand why you framed it this way.

The only other option I would consider personally might be to make the stained glass window trimmed out obviously to be smaller so it shows you intended it to be that way. (Or make the stained glass itself bigger so the frame really is the same size in the end.)

Anonymous said...

Looks fine to me in the 2nd photo, but to be honest there will be few eyes that will notice, go with what works for you girl:)

Ed said...

I don't think it looks top heavy either and I think it will be hardly noticable once it if painted your final color.

Richard said...

Wider header for me, too.

Unknown said...

I'm for a wider header. I think it's important for it to be the same height as the other windows and I don't think it looks top heavy.

Anonymous said...

What second picture? I see only the one. Then I haven't eaten today, so maybe the eye along with my brain is not functioning.

Anonymous said...

Go for the wider header. To pull the eye, apply a decorative touch to the bottom trim.
YeOldFurt

Rich said...

That looks like a 'flip a coin' dilemma. Both ways have valid reasons for doing it that way, so flip a coin where heads is narrow trim, tails is wide trim. If the coin comes up tails and the first thing you think is 'damn, I was hoping it would be heads' then you have your answer.

I personally think that I might pick the narrow trim painted a different trim color that somehow matched or accented the stained glass window. Would something like a light blue or red trim bring a different or brighter light spectrum through the glass?

R.Powers said...

Second photo.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

I'm definately no pro, but I'm thinking the wider one, just so the two window headers are kinda consistent with each other. I run into these little decision things all the time and it really gets me scratching my head at times.

Jenn said...

Yep. Clarification is good. Go with the taller, matching, header!