Monday, November 15, 2010

Too Soon To Tell

There's a lot more pottery back in the shadows that you can't see; I've been trying to turn out a fair amount this past week. I've been fairly pleased with what I've been making but am still unsure how this is going to go.
I read today that one of Birmingham's oldest and best known art galleries, that specialized in Alabama artists, is going out of business citing the worsening economy. This will be the second one this year as another well-known and long time gallery went out months ago. Several artists I know personally that used to be able to support themselves solely on their art, have had to pick up other jobs this year. And these are really talented people, not half-ass 'artists' painting ducks with ribbons around their necks or some crap. Helluva time to be launching a new art business. Of course, mine isn't all new. I still have something of a clientele. And the Internet lets artists reach many, many more people. But....things are still very shaky and all reports I read indicate things may get worse with food costs going way up. I went grocery shopping today and was shocked to see what coffee is now going for.
I guess I'm still going to give it a try though. If I can get my garden in full production mode that will help a lot, to produce much of my own food. Heck, I might could grow enough of some things to sell a little and getting some chickens will help a great deal also. Jack cut down a couple of damaged trees for me to make way for a chicken coop and yard and even cleaned up the area, taking the wood to the splitting area and hauling off the limbs. For a city boy not used to such work, he sure is working awfully hard. He's taken to the chainsaw and axe very well, even though he loves to complain that I'm a slave driver. We've been looking over some coop designs lately and now I need to go through my accumulated materials and just see what I've got that could be used for the chickens. Let me just say their coop is probably going to be quite 'eclectic'. But fun!
Well, off to bed now. It's rainy and cool here tonight, so perfect snugly sleeping weather.


*Bonnie Raitt

11 comments:

HermitJim said...

Looking really good, my friend! I'm thinking it would sure be nice if you could get some fired in time for Christmas! I would certainly be interested in placing an order!

Whatever you decide, I do want to wish the very best in your endeavor! I'm pulling for ya!

Pablo said...

Ducks with ribbons around their necks? Really?

Island Rider said...

I like those pie plates. When will you get prices on line?

Island Rider said...

My husband calls me "the paint nazi."

MamaHen said...

Hey Jim! thanks! I appreciate your encouragement. Oh, I'll fire this batch this week, so I should have many loads come out by Christmas. If all goes well.

Hey Pablo! yeah! I guess that was popular back in the 80's! lol!

Hey IR! you still painting your place?! lol!
I will put a price list up in the next day or two.

ErinFromIowa said...

I love hearing about poultry! Ha! I am jealous of your throwing and firing ways! Guess I will just have to live vicariously through you chicken and ceramic wise.
erinfromiowa.tumblr.com

Mouser Jack said...

She IS a slave driver. I thought I was in good condition until the demons of wood splitting and knocking down trees came along. Now, chainsawing down a tree is great fun. Its the aftermath thats the work. Dragging off the limbs, sectioning the truck for transport to the splitting area [firewood]. Some of those sections weight a lot.
I won't even talk about the splitting. It makes watching the armload or two a night burning like watching a best friend consumed, knowing that more will have to be cut and split.
No doubt, our pioneer forebearers were strong and cut from much different cloth than these days.
But it's good for the soul. I think.

Also, no new mice in the traps.
We may have won. [for now]

And, you should see Annie 'throwing' pottery. Very talented. I could never lay claim to any talent. I could hate talented people. I think there will be a video posted of her at work at some point. Its hard to believe how a lump of mud, under the direction of trained hands, can become something so nice.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

WOW Annie, you have been very busy and the results look wonderful. Can't wait to see the colors when these are fired. Grenville and I are always looking for good coffee mugs with good handles - not easy to find, so I was checking yours out! The economy is bad for artists here on the VA eastern shore as well, not that it's any consolation, merely a sign of the times, which are not that great. Good luck on the chicken coop project.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! lol! well, it may be spring before I can get the chicks but I want them soon as possible!

Hey Jack! oh, I know you love to cut the trees down because that's such a manly thing! lol!

Hey Beatrice! yeah, things are rough for artists (and others) all over. Don't know how well this is going to work for me but I'm going to try. It is very hard to find mugs with good handles because most potters don't like to pull them. It takes a lot of practice to pull a good handle. I make fine handles if I must say so myself! I think they are very comfortable to use.

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog again makes me a bit nostalgic, Annie. I miss the writing almost as much as I miss aspects of the lifestyle and the country. The creative muse pokes me every now and then, whispering to write. Maybe I'll take the suggestion.
-TheCountryExperience, who is country no more

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your pottery looks very nice. Do you have an Etsy account http://www.etsy.com/.

I hope mouser jack has all the safely equipments: chainsaw boot, pants gloves helmet with ear protection and visor. A neck protector is also used. I had a friend who had an accident working as a feller in the bush. In spite of all his equipment in proper order and being a skilled worker he died when his virtual cut his head off when his saw kicked back.
He is not the only friend and neighbour who has died cutting wood over the past 30 years.