Thursday, July 14, 2011

Doggone!

The last week or so we have been letting the young chickens out late in the afternoon to forage. They have a blast with this! They just run everywhere, grabbing bugs and scratching, scratching, scratching. We only let them out for an hour or so and this way they don't wander too far into the woods. I have been pleased that Chigger doesn't bother them at all and in fact, seems to look after them a bit. I often see her laying in the shade with chickens all about her. I don't know if she just finds them curious or if she is really trying to watch after them. At any rate, I feel a little better with her around so maybe she would at least bark if a big critter were to come up.

Here is some of what we have gotten done on the tool shed. I have framed just a little more but not much! Maybe I can get back to that later today but this mornings chore is to dig the potatoes. I dug around yesterday under a couple of plants and I think they are more than ready as I got several taters the size of my palm. I hope I haven't let them get too big.
So, be back soon with the results!!

3 comments:

HermitJim said...

Having a dog that can herd chickens seems to me to be a good thing!

Now if you could teach him to gather the eggs...!

MamaHen said...

Hey Jim! Well, she sits with them often anyway! If she could actually herd them she would have more than her share of doggie treats!! lol!!
I'm just happy she doesn't bite them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The tool ched is looking good, Annie. And it's nice having a chicken guard-dog.