Monday, November 05, 2012

Into The Groove


Hey Everybody!  Well, once again I did not mean to be away so long but it's a busy season right now.  I was up late last night glazing pottery and then starting the firing and then up early to catch it as it reached temperature.  If I start the firing about 10:00 p.m. I can let it climb all night and then get up around 6:00 a.m. to check the cone and shut it down.  Unfortunately last night I forgot to set the clock in the bedroom back an hour, so I got up at 5:00!  Crap!!  Not really going to be able to get back to sleep either, knowing I must get up again in less than an hour.  Oh well.  Firing like this helps heat the house too, on a cold night!  Might as well take advantage of it!


So, I tried to get the garden caught up today and succeeded for the most part.  Just need to plant the brussel sprouts now.  Hopefully I will get something out of them this year.  Last year they were a bust.
We've also been collecting and storing our seeds from this year and making plans for spring planting.  I've got to get more organized about that.


As you can see the girls are getting pretty big and mature. I caught 2 or 3 of them snooping around the laying boxes in the middle of the day.  This is very unusual so maybe they are getting close to starting egg production.  Most of the older girls are molting right now so we are getting like, one egg a day.  Sweet little, mangled Scooter is holding her own as our only layer right now.  We make sure to toss her an extra treat or two most days.


I really hope to get back to a more regular posting schedule soon and to focus on more informative or DIY posts.  Now, I'll still include some of my funny stories and goofy occurrences etc. because I think half of ya'll read just to see what crap I've gotten myself into now! lol!  That's okay.
I have just noticed lately, in making my blog rounds, that it seems that a number of the self-sufficiency, "green" type blogs have pretty much crapped out.  Even a few of the group type blogs, where they have 4 or 5 writers, have either shut down or simply don't write about anything in particular anymore.  Personally, I think it's due to the fact that many of the people that initially jump on the homesteading, DIY, conserving wagon don't realize how hard it can be, don't realize how much society will make you feel deprived and stupid, so they get tired and give up. 


Well, we haven't given up and in fact, are doing more than ever, so I want to encourage more people to try it also, where they can.  We can't all own 100 acre farms and have totally solar powered homes but we can all do something.  If it's something that concerns us, and there are LOTS of things that concern me about our world.  I'm really going to try to get back to posting more food and recipes too.

I've noticed also, that I have a few new followers, so if anybody has any questions about our gardening, animals, employment, the house or whatever, please feel free to ask!

4 comments:

Wally Jones said...

Well, I'm one of those "new followers" you mentioned and look forward to your posts. I'm "reading backwards" through some of your previous postings and there's some good information here.
Had a setback in gardening the past couple of years due to a health thing. Got out yesterday and started reviving some raised beds to get some greens going. We'll see! -Wally

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Perhaps those bloggers you mentioned just got burnt out or felt that didn't want to blog on a daily basis. Glad to know you will be posting your DIY projects and recipes, which always make for good reading, Annie.

MamaHen said...

Hey Wally! Welcome! good to hear from you again. Yeah, I've got a good bit of greens going too; good luck with yours.

Hey Bea! Well, the ones that just quit writing must have got burnt out or such but there's been several that just changed what they write about. Now, instead of green and sustainable, it's just stuff about their kids or pets! IDK.

HermitJim said...

Guess I'm one of the stubborn ones that tries to put something on everyday, although most of it might be boring!

I always enjoy coming by here 'cause I never know what you might teach me!

Have a great day!