Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pick Up The Pieces


A good while back one of you dear readers had inquired about the "creek glass" I happened to mention in a post.  So, I finally got around to getting a decent picture of said subject.  I had actually misplaced my collection briefly and had to find them again.  I've gotten quite forgetful lately and usually am only reminded of things when I inadvertently stumble upon something.  At any rate though, this is some of the creek glass I was telling you about.  Now, much of it is not actually glass at all but rather ceramic pieces or natural rocks or formations I find interesting, such as the two objects in the top right area.  See, every time it comes a pretty fair rain, enough to get the creek up a bit, new objects always wash down the creek and settle in various places as the water drops.  If I go down and wade around in time I can usually find a few things of interest.  Of course, it's usually just broken dishes, beer or Coke bottles and various liquor bottles but I have found some cool old pottery shards and a few really cool pieces of unidentifiable glass.  They are normally quite worn and smooth from tumbling down the rocky creek bed, just like it's more famous cousin, sea glass.

I don't really know what I'll ever do with the stuff.  Some of it may be of a size and shape enough to fit into a mosaic here and there.  If I can ever get back to working on those things that is.  Or maybe I'll just mix some of it into some stone mulch for a little color.  As you can see, green, brown and clear are the most common colors.  Blue or white is quite rare, although I have found one piece of each of those.

7 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These pieces might work well for some sort of mosaic inside or outside your home, possibly something that could be added to if more pieces were found later.

Island Rider said...

The back field where we keep the horses used to be a dump. Rain always washes new bits of glass to the surface. It is old thick glass so does not bother the horses or dogs. It looks a lot like sea glass too. Someday, I'd like to make oendsnts out if them. Just never enough hours in the day. I am sorry you still feel poorly. Hope you get some treatment options soon.

Island Rider said...

That was supposed to be pendants! Hard to moment from my phone!

Anonymous said...

Hey I have been collecting those too! Let me know if you figure out what to do with them... I was thinking some kind of mosaic, but the glass just looks so much better with light shining through it...

-Karen

Unknown said...

Oh, to have a creek!

HermitJim said...

I bet you can figure something out! Cool looking stuff!

MamaHen said...

Hey Bea! Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Hey IR! thanks! pendants would be a neat project.

Hey Karen! Yeah, the glass would be better for wind chimes or pendants or something like that.

Hey Ken! Yeah, I love having water near the house!

Hey Jim! maybe! lol!