Saturday, April 28, 2007

Back Up On The Roof

The roof is done!! We finally got through the bad weather and got all the ladders and pick boards freed up and everything set back up outside and finished the roof and all the trim and flashing. What a pain in the butt. Early when we started back on it, the pollen had just started to fall in a big way and that roof was slicker than owl grease. It was very difficult to get around on but it rained the other day (yea!) and washed all that off so working today was fine. You may not see much difference in the roof but all that right on the edge has previously not been there. It was just this ragged looking edge for a long time.
This is a close-up shot of the trim that goes on the gable ends. Allen had this made special because the standard pieces they gave us were a lot bigger and really looked goofy. They stuck further out and we wanted something that had a more streamlined look. It's still kinda big but it looks good in place. You can see, it caps over that last rib on the decking and is screwed tight against the verge rafter.

The trim is run on the sides and then the ridge cap is installed over them. It makes a nice smooth look there. You can cut the ridge cap off wherever you want and we thought it looked better sticking out past the trim about a half inch. This is the little tiny short piece over on the east side of the house. This little area will eventually disappear and be integrated into the rest of the roof when the other half of the house is built.


This is the flashing under the clerestory windows. All of this is fairly easy to install; not rocket science. Flashing under shingle roofs always seems more complicated to me. But this is a pretty simple roof; no valleys or other weird stuff. Well, the clerestory section is a little weird but not too much. You just have to make sure on your flashing that everything is layered. Note the flashing up under the Tyvek and the siding will, of course, extend down over all of this to that inside corner in the flashing.
We also hung some more Sheetrock today and did some cleanup. I'm glad the roof is over because it takes so long moving all that scaffolding etc. around. I think that part of getting set up took almost half of the time. Well, any high work on this house takes a long time to set up for. The siding will be the same way and painting.
One other thing about this roof, it is MUCH cooler to work on than a standard shingle roof so I think it is really doing it's job of reflecting heat. Now, granted, it's not August but you could place your bare hands on the metal with no problem and I know of times that I have actually blistered my butt sitting (with blue jeans on) on a shingle roof in the springtime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Owl grease?

Maybe you could enlighten a benighted flatlander about the color of the roof you selected. I'm inclinded toward dark green, but is that a mistake? What influences this kind of choice?

Todd M said...

Color can affect energy efficiency. However, there are dark colors available now in metal roofs which reflect radiant heat due to special pigmentation.

If anyone wishes, I have a good article on metal roofing -- explaining the things to think about -- just email me and I will send it to you. tmiller@classicroof.com

And I am with you -- owl grease?

MamaHen said...

Hey Pablo! Well, lighter colors generally reflect heat whereas dark colors absorb them thus leading your house to absorb the heat from the roof. Insulation can keep out a certain amount of heat but not all of it. Heat transfer through dark roofs accounts for an enormous amount of cooling costs. However, as Todd pointed out, there are now dark metal roofs that reflect heat too due to new technology. I have read about them but never seen them and it would probably be something I could not afford anyway. One other thing that affected my color choice was that I just like the look of galvalume (the natural silver) and it kind of harkens back to the look of the old rural South but in decent material.
Hey Todd! I would like to read that article; I will get back to you. As I said to Pablo, I have heard of such roofs but as far as I know, have not seen one.

And to both and probably everybody else out there wondering; "slicker than owl grease" is an OLD construction worker saying. It's a nice way of saying owl s**t. Now, why they suspected owl pooh to be really slick, I don't know. There is another one "sorrier than whale s**t". I asked why whale pooh would be so sorry? Well, it has to drift to the bottom of the ocean and therefore be the one of the lowest things on earth. I don't know; these guys come up with some crazy things. I have noticed that all of their metaphors and comparisions have to do with animals or pooh, stuff like that.