Monday, June 20, 2011

Day Tripper

Hey Everybody! I'm finally back again. Things have been fairly busy around here lately, keeping up with the garden and all the chickens etc. I have been in a little bit of a no-writing funk also, maybe brought on by cabin-fever and so we have been making some effort to get out a little more. Finances will not allow us to stray very far from the house but there is usually a number of things do in our little community or some of the neighboring ones. A lot of people overlook some of the small towns when it comes to festivals and such but a lot of them are pretty fun.. and cheap!
I have written about this subject before, but since I have some new readers, I'll inflict these flower pictures on you all again! lol! A flower nursery in a nearby town has an annual sale to the public every summer and I love to go, as I collect their specialty, daylilies. They also have homemade ice cream, fried pies (a southern delicacy) and give away a large number of doorprizes.  I went last weekend and had a very fun day.


This place has so many varieties it's just mind boggling. Well, to me anyway. It's also a really nice place and you can just wander around and eat ice cream. They have benches here and there and the lady that runs the place is VERY knowledgeable about all sorts of plants. It's a nice diversion for half a day and you don't have to drive for an hour to get there. Well, we didn't anyway but there are many folks (serious collectors) that come from all over the state to buy on this weekend. They have day lily varieties that range from $5 to $85. That's $85 for one plant. The near black one in the first photo is one of their more expensive ones.

This was the variety that I purchased this year. I did not have any other yellow lilies so I thought I'd get one this year. It is a shorter version (and cheap!) called 'Lion's Dance'. I got two of them but they will eventually multiply. My pottery sales picked up quite a bit in the stores and galleries this past month so I had a little money to play around with and could afford a little treat for myself.

This is one of the more unusual types I already have at the house. Most of the colors fade the opposite way, with the darker on the outer edges, so I really thought this one was striking.

One last gratuitous group shot. It started coming up a little bit of a thunderstorm after we had been there for a while so I made a quick purchase and we left. We had a fun time and came away with some nice things to further beautify the gardens, for very little money.

So, this weekend we went on another little outing that I'll show ya'll about later. I've been making a list of things to post about so maybe I can get a little more organized and write about some more relevant things. Does anyone have any subject you would like me to post about or a question on anything? I will get back to the building posts soon too!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that an hydrangea that Jack won? Good for him either way! I love day lilies, even the "ditch" (tiger) lilies that grow everywhere in Maine. Looks like you have access to WAY more varieties than we do up north.
Cheers
Sal

ezrablu said...

Congrats to Jack! Looks like a fun day...we have LOTS of small town festivals here in Wisconsin. Great fun, cheap and polka! :D

MamaHen said...

Hey Sal! yes, it is a "snowball" hydrangea. I like even the common ones too!

Hey Ezra! Hey! polka!! that's always good!

HermitJim said...

Glad you had the chance to get out and attend the festival!

Right you are about so many free things to experience if we look!

Glad the pottery sales have picked up! That's a good sign, right?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi ANnie, we have a similar daylily farm near us and it's currently open to the public. Last year we bought a dozen or so different varieties and planted them in a special daylily garden in the front yard. Your place sounds better cause they have ice cream and food!

MamaHen said...

Hey Jim! yes, that's a good sign! just hope it keeps up.

Hey Bea! well, it's just for two days that they let the public an dand have food! We have to wait ALL year for it to reopen! ugh! lol!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

We just called Jack's plant a snowball bush. My mother had one that grew to a large size and was always a great display.

The lilies are spectacular. I enjoy the wild tiger lilies which seem to be the most spectacular wild flower around.

MamaHen said...

He Philip! yeah, we called it a snowball bush too. My grandmother had a big one right by her front porch. I love the tiger lilies too but you don't see many of them around here these days.