Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Shaking The Tree



 When I first started building the house I was very selective, reluctant even, to take out any more trees than just absolutely necessary.   That's good in one respect because you have time to think about which ones you want to cut and don't end up with a giant bare lot.  However, it helps to make the decision within a reasonable amount of time because it sure is easier the smaller the tree.  Thinning out large trees can be a pain and they grow much faster than I think we realize.  So, I decided that this winter would be a good time to finally get rid of a few of these trees closest the house, before they got any more awkward to fell.  Now, I know some people are gonna squeak and fuss about cutting trees but sometimes you just have to.  Two of these are damaged anyway and one of those leans slightly towards the house.  The other two are sweet gums, which, if you are not familiar, are what we call "trash trees".  The wood is not good for much, they crowd out nice trees because they grow much faster and they put off these hard, spiny balls that are a pain, literally, if you step on one.  And lastly, having these trees removed will make backing a concrete truck up in that area much easier.  I still have those planter walls to pour in front of that concrete block you see.  I know it's taking forever but I will get to that one day!




I know the photo is really crappy but i was shooting through a window with a screen on it.  You can see (maybe) one little woodpecker up on the suet block and several little sparrows (?) on the feeder.  Other regulars are cardinals, nuthatches, tufted titmouse and possibly a couple of goldfinch. 


And of course, the opportunistic, greedy chickens are never far behind.  They patrol under the tree like hungry sharks, just waiting for the occasional seeds the birds drop.  Anybody coming up would think we never feed these girls. 


I also forgot to close my cold frame the other day when I let the girls into the garden for winter clean up.  They quickly discovered my mistake and proceeded to dig to China.  I think they might have found a few bugs but mainly they thought it was the best place to dust bathe ever!  At one point, there were so many of them crammed in there they really couldn't even move around very well.  There was only a few remaining dregs of lettuce still planted, so it didn't really matter.  I let them have their fun for a few days but ran them out yesterday so I could plant a new batch of loose leaf.

So, our tree cutting is on hold for now.  The wind has really been horrendous these past couple of days and would make something like that potentially very dangerous.

6 comments:

Ed said...

If you want a healthy stand of mature trees, you have to use a chainsaw just like you prune shrubs and other stuff around the house. Unfortunately, I have a large stand of trees that people just let go and in these last two stressful years, they have died because they weren't healthy and I've cut down over two dozen of them. The ones that are left aren't specimen trees but I'm hoping that their health returns now that they have some room to grow and they will be around awhile.

JO said...

I only had one tree in my tiny yard and I had to cut it down. I would leave black gunk on the house and then it caused dry rot. Some trees will grow right to your water lines and we know that isn't very good.

I wish I lived where there are more bird varieties.

Unknown said...

So glad you are feeling better and are up and about the farm again. The rope on the bird feeder to be able to raise and lower it is clever. And always love the photos of those interesting chickens! Be careful with felling falling trees!

MamaHen said...

Hey Ed! Yeah, I hoping that by cutting these scraggly ones the maple and dogwood will really flourish. It's all a work in progress!

Hey Jo! Oh no! Can you plant another maybe ornamental tree or such?

Hey Ken! thanks! I don't feel wonderful but I am able to putter around doing a little here and there! That's better than nothing! Yeah, that was Jack's design on the rope!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We had to take down trees in the front yard as one while pretty in spring and fall was neverthless very old. The chances of it coming down in a heavy windstorm and hitting the house made the decision to take it out easier. We sought a professional opinion beforehand as it was too much tree for us to handle.

David The Good said...

Looking good.

I just put a bird feeder out front... it's been entertaining the kids. Lots of cardinals and squirrels so far, plus a few Southern Tiny Brown Birds. (I'm a horticulturalist, not an ornithologist. Heh.)