Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Can


I Can.  Obviously that word carries a myriad of meanings, suggestions and allusions.  I can because I can.  I can take care of myself even when I'm sick for months on end because we thought ahead and prepared.  I can have decent, even decadent food to eat even when I don't feel like going to the store or out to eat.  We can have healthy snacks and side dishes any time with minimal effort.  I only wish I had felt better during the summer so I could have put up even more fresh food from our garden, but I did pretty good as it was.  This is just a portion of what I canned this past summer.  Lots of fresh fruit, jams, soup base, pickles, beans, peas and salsa!  Not to mention some frozen and cruciferous foods I have harvested from the garden during the winter or have in cold storage now.  I believe we'll have enough veggies and fruits to make it until fresh stuff starts coming in from the garden this spring.


I don't cook many desserts but a warm fruit cobbler on a cold winter's day is really nice and really easy too when you already have your own canned fruit ready.  I think I gave ya'll this recipe for Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Muffin Crust??  Holy Smokes, it is good!  I eeked out enough rhubarb that I think we'll soon have a Rhubarb/ Strawberry pie or cobbler. 


Maybe tonight even!  We got a fair snowfall today although I have seen much heavier.  Days like today make me VERY thankful that I can.  No trying to get to the store in this or having to remember to go way before it hits.  Or, as was the case this time, not going to the store ahead of time at all because they really didn't call for much of anything in our area.  Instead, we played in the snow a bit while a big pot of soup made from pantry goodies simmered in the crock pot! 

11 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

Your provisions look so tasty! So you did get rhubarb from your plant?!
Tonight I watched the documentary My Life as a Turkey. They have it online at PBS. I loved it and I think you and Jack would enjoy it also. Stay warm!

Gin said...

I've read somewhere online (base your belief in the following on the source) that something like 50% of the people in the US have less than three days supply of food in the house. Unbelievable. I'm not a survivalist, but we could probably get by two, maybe three months with what we have, not that we'd be eating what we wanted, mind you, but we wouldn't starve. I think you're about of the same mind. You prepare because things can happen. I bet there are some folks in Atlanta today who wish they'd prepared a bit better.

pamit said...

That cobbler looks SO good. Reminds me of my granny's fruit pastries back in GA. She made cobblers (not as pretty as yours) but for some reason I remember her peach turnovers the most. Basically a cobbler with crust all around :-) And I think they were FRIED, believe it or not. So unhealthy and good.

Gin said...

pamit.... I had those as a child and still make them, usually with biscuit dough instead of pastry dough. And yes, they are fried...in bunches of butter. They aren't called fried pies for nothing. :) Now you've gone and throw a cravin' on me.

Unknown said...

Beauty in a jar! Yum!!

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! yes, the rhubarb is from a couple of plants I have. we'll see if they come back this spring. yeah, we actually watched My Life As a Turkey! I think Jack bought it. Great documentary but it was sad in places. :(

Hey Gin! Those figures would not surprise me at all to be true. people don't have any sense any more. I'm not really a survivalist type either but it's just common sense to keep some stores of food. you never know these days what's going to happen.

Hey Pam! Yes, fried pies! a common southern staple! I love apple the best.

Hey gin! Yeah, I could go for some of my Mama's fried pies right now! ya'll making me hungry!! I rarely make them but they are a good treat every now and then. Don't use butter though; it burns too easy for me.

Hey Ken! thanks! and yes, it is yum!!

ErinFromIowa said...

That article I read about rhubarb... folks in Texas grow it successfully as an annual. So it will be interesting to see how yours comes back. Here in Iowa... Haha I had to laugh a bit... folks would look askance at rhubarb being grown in a pot on the deck. In a why bother way... it grows everywhere ... so easily. Still... Here in my 3rd floor apt I have trouble getting my hands on rhubarb. Horrors I should buy it from a store. Let alone pay for it. Ha!!

Ed said...

I love looking at a shelf full of jars of food just like looking at a shelf full of books. They both make me feel wealthy!

Can't believe the chaos 2" of snow can cause down south.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

OK, reading this post has made me hungry for dessert and sadly we have none. Great to see all those "I can" goodies on your pantry shelf, Annie. There is nothing like doing it yourself and glad you could and showed us too.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! well, I'm anxious to see if it will even come back; it may not. But,I will grow it like an annual if I have to. Still cheaper than buying a little handful in the store!

Hey Ed! Well, it's not so much 2" of snow as it is 1 solid inch of ice everywhere, extremely hilly terrain on all the major interstates and all those areas covered in jack-knifed 18-wheelers.

Hey Bea! thanks! well, it doesn't take a tremendous effort to stock up on a few things, whether you can or not, so it's something most anybody can do.

JO said...

In winter such as yours it sure is a good thing to can.

Your cobbler made me drool.