Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Summer Fever

First off, THANK YOU for all the kind comments! and please excuse me this one time for not answering each of you in the comment section.  I appreciate all the good juju from you guys.  I still feel like hammered cat shit but I have done some more research and maybe have found some encouraging info.  From what I've read it's possible that I am going through a no-starch "flu".  At least that's what the popular phrase is.  And "flu" would aptly describe how I feel, down to even running a temperature.  Now, I don't think I am actually running a fever, I just feel that way.  And as one commenter suggested, I could be experiencing some bad gut bacteria die-off, which is the whole point of a no-starch diet for rheumatological issues.
Supposedly, the starch flu will last 2-3 weeks and in that time your body makes the transition from burning mostly starches for energy to burning mostly fats and healthier carbs, such as what comes from fruits and vegetables.  Most people would think, well, just don't eat potatoes, rice or bread and you'd be good to go.  Well, once you start researching things a bit you find it's not so easy.  For one thing, fruits like bananas (something I love) are starches.  So are most winter squashes, peas and beans.  And, worst of all, in our overly processed society, if it comes in a box or jar it almost certainly contains added starch.  I found out that even my daily vitamins contain rice powder or added potato starch.!  Most packaged seasoning mixes, some alternative milk (like soy milk), ice cream, yogurt, lunch meat (even whole hams) etc. etc., may contain added starch.  So, I've really had to read ingredients well.  Now, I have never been one to rely on packaged foods much anyway...but I do use yogurt some and things like that.  And one other thing...don't let anyone kid you...coconut flour sucks.  I've tried making various things with that stuff and so far, it's pretty hideous.
But, I am sticking with this.  Something's got to give eventually.


And to top things off, as if I didn't feel bad enough, one of my girls died this morning.  It was very unexpected and I'm not sure what happened.  Fortunately, I woke up early this morning so I was with her when she passed.  I feel especially bad that I have not been out and about with the girls as much lately and if I had felt better I might have noticed she was not feeling well in time enough to do something.  Or not.  I don't remember seeing her acting ill not one time recently.  But still....I normally check them all at bedtime to make sure they have been eating good, no cuts or injuries etc. but I just missed this one.  At least it seemed quick.

So, that's the news from Dragon Valley.  Anybody got any good news from your parts?

7 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

Aww... I am sorry to hear about your chicken. I know she had a happy life at Dragon Valley. We eat a similar diet. I don't follow a certain plan but I have worked and WORKED (it's such a pain in the butt) on figuring out what makes me feel best. Good news? Hmm... the heat wave broke!

Pablo said...

A year ago, I was lamenting that I would never have a grandchild. Next year at this time I'll have THREE!

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Let's see...good news...I see a light at the end of my retirement-to-be tunnel, and you're posting again! Hubby and I both have relatively healthy bodies for our age, and my mama is approaching 90, hearing better than I do. And big brother Hermit Jim is there for her day-to-day care, bless him and thanks be to God for him!
Guess that's quite a lot of good news from my side of the valley - hope to hear more soon from your side, too ...

Island Rider said...

Good news? May have found something that stops my facial pain though the side effects suck. I admire your courage on the starch free diet. I need to go there but haven 't the energy. Vicious cycle I know.

Ed said...

After a mild stretch of weather, it is going to get hot up here with more rain. I think I'm ready just to give up and try again this fall when things dry up a bit.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! that is good news! I think ours has broken too! thank goodness; it was getting oppressive even to me.

Hey Pablo! Wow! 3!! Congratulations, Grandpa!!

Hey Sis! Yeah, that's all great news! thanks! I hope I have more good news too.

Hey IR! Well, that's great but hate to hear it has bad side effects. :( The starch free diet is hard I'll tell ya. But if it works it will be SO worth it.

Hey Ed! Yeah, me garden has about had it already, with the humidity and crappy plantings, bad seeds and pests. Not a good year.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Catchung up Annie and sorry to read that the news has not been good. Condolences on the loss of one of the girls. Gokd wishes to you in hopes of feeling better soon. Good news here is that we are doing well; bad news is that there seems to be little interest from prospective home buyers for our VA home.