Friday, July 31, 2015

Eat At Home

We had a gloriously cool morning today (66F at 7:00 a.m.) and it warmed up very slowly, so up until lunch was quite nice.  I felt well enough in fact, to do about 45 minutes of cardio exercise and then another 30 minutes or so of weights.  I can tell that I am feeling better since embarking on the no-starch but it's slow and the pain is very slow to move.  But hey, my mood and such is better and I realized today I had not needed to take a Claritin in about 2 weeks.!  Now, I am still getting rather tired and I crashed heavily this afternoon but I was pleased with what I got done today anyway.  Not as much as I'd like for sure, but I think it's improving.
It was still cool enough around 11:00 a.m. that I decided a nice brunch out on the deck would be good.  I love to eat outside if at all possible.  I made the new almond/ flax pancakes with fresh strawberries and some bacon.  They were very yummy and since a couple of you had asked for the recipe I thought I'd share that.
Now, this recipe comes from George Stella's The Complete Low-Carb Cookbook.
He developed the recipes in this book (and others) in order to lose a lot of weight but they work great for the AS low/ no-starch diet and some of the other diets for IBS, Fibro etc. because he basically uses no grains or other starches.  I think there are one or two recipes I would have to modify but for the most part the whole book is great and the recipes are truly good.  I highly recommend any of his books if you are interested in the low-carb, low-starch eating.

So, here is the recipe.  He calls them Silver Dollar Pancakes.
2 large eggs
1/4 cup water
1 TBS maple extract
1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup milled flax seed
1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitue
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

Spray griddle with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.  (I use coconut oil)
Stir together ingredients with a wooden spoon until a well-blended batter is formed.
Pour approximately 16 silver-dollar sized pancakes onto hot griddle and cook on one side about 3-4 minutes.  Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes.

Okay, now I'll tell you what I changed.  I don't care for much maple flavoring so I left that out and used a little vanilla extract and a touch of cinnamon.  I also used just a tablespoon or so of coconut flour because the batter seemed just a little wet to me, although I'm sure it would have been fine.  I also made my cakes about 3-4 inches across.  I don't like teeny little pancakes.

It took just a little while to get the hang of cooking these because they do brown a little different than regular pancakes.  It seems that they are way too wet still to flip but they are not; they hold together amazingly well.  If you can get the spatula under them, you can flip them.  Also, you will not need much syrup at all with these.  They are very tasty.  I do use just a tad and also a little fruit juice from whatever fruit I top them with; which is really good.  You could eat them sans fruit but they are really good with strawberries, peaches, blueberries etc.  I bet bananas too, if you can eat them.

So, try 'em out and enjoy!

3 comments:

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Glad to hear things are still improving, Annie. If you can do an hour of exercising, things are really looking up ...
Your pancakes look terrific, especially on that lovely plate!

JO said...

I may look into this food plan I have been really suffering with back pain and can't go back to exercise class. I have to go for labs tomorrow to see what is so out of control this time. This plan seems to be working for you even if it takes some time its worth the wait to get the results.

Notice I call it a food plan, hate the word diet!

MamaHen said...

Hey Sis! thanks! Some days I can do an hour, some days not anywhere near that...but I think it is progress.

Hey Jo! Food "plan" is great! lol! Yeah, check it out; it may help. It is very slow going but the people who have said it helps, it is almost miraculous. I think i may have to cut diary too though; which is rough because I love cheese!