Monday, July 20, 2015

Hurt Don't Know When To Quit

I just wanted to put up a quick post to kinda let ya'll know what's going on....I don't know how much I'll post in the next few weeks.  Things are not going well.  I hope this is just withdrawal from abstaining so much from starches (which are basically sugar), but my pain levels have really taken off and I'm hurting much more now than I have in a long time.  It could be partly the weather too.. I don't know.  But it's really got me.  I'm really kinda at the end of my rope.  I'm gonna keep on with the no-starch because they say it can take up to a month before you notice any relief but in the mean time it's really doing a number on me.  And I mean mentally as well as physically.

There have been a number of medical studies done lately that have shown a consistent link between chronic pain and inflammation and depression and anxiety and the link is physical; it's not just being bummed out because you hurt.  You can look up any number of articles on the subject but basically, when the body produces inflammation (which usually is accompanied by pain) certain proteins are also produced by the inflamed tissues etc.  These proteins use the same neural pathways that the substances serotonin, dopamine etc. use but are somehow stronger and they block the serotonin and others from reaching the brain.  Basically the proteins clog up the lines.  Now, it's widely known the serotonin, dopamine and other substances are responsible for mood; lack of these substances cause depression, anxiety and other issues.  So, not to make excuses but that's it in a nutshell for me.  I have zero motivation to do anything, except to somehow relieve my pain.  The anxiety is back and an overwhelming, engulfing fatigue.  I do not care about anything right now and I do not like being this way.

So, I'm doing all I can right now, or all I can think of that is within my power.  All I know to do is just keep on with the no-starch stuff and all the natural anti-inflammatory stuff I can find and hope and pray that it takes hold one day.  And yeah, I am taking some actual pain meds and nsaids but they don't do much or simply don't last very long.
So keep your fingers crossed for me.  I'll come back and post when I can think of something lucid to say.  Or maybe have some decent photos to share.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could be having a candida die off. They can be pretty bad, you may just be at the worst of it now. Hoping you see the light at the end of the tunnel very soon.

westside mom said...

Hang in there. Just came across your blog so I don't know the ins and outs of why you decided to change your diet but having done it myself please know it's a good one. And it does take time to see changes. I went grain free about 4 years ago. I can now add back in a bit of corn on occasion. I like to "save" up for corn season. Don't despair! It is worth it. There are a ton of gluten free recipes from coconut chicken to almond cakes. Find local people who are on a similar diet. It helps not feeling alone. Best wishes!

JO said...

I hate hearing your so down and feeling so bad. In reading the above comments I am hoping that they are right and you should start feeling better soon if this is what it takes. Also wondering if you might have started a journal for your problem. And if maybe some of the cause can also be the humidity causing some of the pain. Just a thought so you can keep a check on certain weather conditions and pain.

All I can offer is my best wishes this will pass soon.

ErinFromIowa said...

consistent link between chronic pain and inflammation and depression and anxiety and the link is physical; it's not just being bummed out because you hurt.
You just explained this to me better than any Dr. ever has. ;) Hang in there Annie. (hug)

Ed said...

Hope something changes for the better! Pain sucks.

Island Rider said...

Praying for you.

Hermit's Baby Sis said...

Virtual hugs so as not to hurt you more, Annie, and lots of prayers coming your way. Your blogging friends are willing you the best, and look forward to some good news soon ~

HermitJim said...

As always I'm thinking nothing but good thoughts for you, my friend. I do hope you start to see some improvement very soon!

pamit said...

Oh Annie. I hope it gets better SOON - that the body figures out the mind is trying to help it not hurt it! Ow, ow ow. Sending prayers and distractions your way.

Podunk Paul said...

Hope and pray you get better soon. Although we have never and surely never will meet (I live a thousand miles south of the border), you are a very special person. God bless.