Friday, June 18, 2010

Hot In Herre

This week at work has been absolutely miserable as far as the heat goes. We've been able to work in the shade of the building but it's still hot inside. However, today I had to work out in the sun grading gravel for a slab pour, surrounded by concrete and it was near 100 F. I am not one who sweats a lot but even my pant legs were soaked by the end of the day. I'm getting too old for that kind of crap.
I'm going to try to get some work done around here in the morning and maybe take a break during the hottest part of the day.

Yesterday I was working inside the sanctuary part, sawing lumber for blocking and it was terribly hot. Now, we have several very large fans set up in the building and they help a lot but I wasn't feeling any breeze coming my way. After a brief investigation I noticed that the stupid duct men had 3 of the fans on the stage area all pointed at them! All three of them! I called bullshit and went up and turned one of the fans out toward the sanctuary to where several of us were working. Ahh, that felt much better! Well, after about 30 minutes I noticed it got very hot again. WTH? I turned around and couldn't believe it when I saw that one of the duct guys had turned that fan back towards them, so all 3 fans were back on just those 3 guys. The sorry sonova.... I didn't say a word. I didn't make any gestures or pick up anything. I simply put one hand on my hip and gave him 'the Eye'. Even at about 50 feet he could see that look. He looked sheepishly at me and then slowly eased over to the fan and turned it back towards me. Damn skippy, and you better not touch it again.

No wonder I can't attract a man. ;)

14 comments:

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

lol. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do, don't she? Sounds like they had it coming anyway Annie.

Woody said...

NOT the eye!

R.Powers said...

You have the EYE?
There's still time to be a teacher!


LOL!

Ed said...

Do you have a sticker on your hard hat that say beware of tongue and eye? If not, perhaps you should consider it. :)

Rusty said...

Grinning! I think Edmay have an idea there. A photo of the business end of a hungry shark on the front of the hard hat, and a big eye on the back.. Oh my.....
ATB!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Guess that guy didn't give you any more problems, Annie, not after you gave him the "eye."

Grenville and I visited a local day lily farm on Friday after getting inspired by your recent posting. We succumbed and bought some plants but will not have them dug up until August - ready for next spring's blooming. I photographed lots and lots of daylilies and posted photos on our blog if you want to check them out!

Rita said...

You make me roll on the floor laughing. Can't let them walk all over you that's for sure. Smart move I say. :)

HermitJim said...

Every guy knows that dreaded "look" and realizes the need to rectify things post haste!

Growing up with three sisters and several ex-wives taught me all too well!

Now I try and stay on the good side!

MamaHen said...

Hey Mark! that's right!!

Hey Woody! oh yeah, the eye!

Hey FC! they say my 'eye' is truly fear inducing too!

Hey Ed! lol! Actually, I like for it to be a surprise. ;)

Hey Rusty! i wish I could find one of a big eye!

Hey Beatrice! no, they know better than to give me any trouble.
I saw the daylilies post ya'll did and the pics you had were beautiful!

Hey Rita! thanks!!

Hey Jim! yeah, with that many women around you I guess you have learned! :D

Beau said...

Too funny. If it wasn't so dang hot I imagine. Can't believe none of the other folks raised the BS flag. Could you use one of them camelback thingies frozen with ice?

MamaHen said...

Hey Beau! a camelback thingy??
I have no idea what that is! is it like a vest with water?

Hayley said...

Yeah I got so tired of that unbearable heat that I moved to Alaska! No joke.

MamaHen said...

Hey Hayley! yeah, I saw where you were up there but didn't know if it was permanent or not!

Hayley said...

It isn't a temporary job so we will just see how things go!