Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pretty Legs And Great Big Knockers

I'll spare ya'll from any more chicken posts; for awhile anyway. Well, I did want to do one more on the runs we have built for them, but I thought I'd take a break from that and give a little status update on the garden. Okay, Chigger wanted her picture taken one day too and posed for me and everything. Not sure about the sprawled legs but anyway....she has lost her little cute puppy looks but she's still a sweetie.

It has been pretty hot this past week and everybody is trying to acclimate to it. She pretty much does this during the day but is all wired and ready to go early in the morning and late in the afternoon. We bought her a pretty grown-up dog collar for her tags.

Oh, I said this was a garden update, didn't I? Things are going along well there. One of my zucchini plants has become so large Allen has taken to calling it Audry. I'll get some photos of that soon. Seems the cow manure is a big help. These are the first carrots I've ever grown!! They are "Little Finger" variety: I believe an old French heirloom type. I did pull some of them a bit small, as you can see, but they needed thinning anyway. Very tasty.

I have actually harvested all the cabbage now. This was taken a couple of weeks ago. That area behind me is now sprouting corn, green beans, okra and potatoes. This batch of cabbage did real well.



In fact, I got some really nice heads! They were all quite firm and robust. Allen kept wanting to mess with them though and squeeze them. I had to make him stop before he bruised them. Ugh!
I took two of the heads and made sauerkraut. Well, I'm making sauerkraut now. We'll see in a few weeks how it comes out and I will post the results, good or bad.
So, if the rest of the garden doesn't get beaten to death tomorrow in a hail storm I'll post some more about what's going on there. They are predicting some storms for us but maybe it won't get rough. We could use the rain though.


Oh...that really is an old song by Bette Midler.

13 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

Those are some nice cabbages!
The mesclun box has been changed to a herb box. I have flat leaf parsley, cilantro, mint and onion chives getting west sun. They seem to be doing well.

newcracker52 said...

Like those large gabbage heads!!!

Pablo said...

There are cabbages in that photo?

Ed said...

When I saw that last picture I immediately thought of Pablo. I'm glad he still comments even if he doesn't maintain his blog anymore.

I am always shocked to see such red soil. Makes the black stuff I have in my garden look pretty darn good.

Frugal Canadian Hermit said...

Nice ummmm, veggies.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your cabbages look great, really firm and perky.

I am just planting my cabbages and other cabbage family plants. It is too cold here for a Winter garden.
In fact, it is cool this morning, 1C and feels like -5C. More sensitive plants will have to wait for a couple of weeks to avoid the threat of frost.

Your pup look great. My Heidi is the love of my life. (Don't tell my lady friend)

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! thanks! my lettuce has about konked out too, so I planted a fresh batch that will be mostly in the shade. Great herbs!

Hey Jim! thanks!

Hey Pablo! yeah, somewhere...:D

Hey Ed! I find it interesting that you would think of Pablo when presented with large boobies....lol!!
Oh, that soil is not red...I can show you some red soil; I mean, red as blood, stick to you forever, alabama dye red.

Hey Mark! thanks! ha!

Hey Philip! thanks! yes, I was quite happy with them! It's hard to believe it's still so cold at your place. Ya'll barely have to to grow anything!
Your secret with Heidi is safe! ;)

R.Powers said...

I've never been much of a cabbage fan, but I may have to give it another look.

Woody said...

For once I was hoping for tiny little brussel sprouts.

MamaHen said...

Hey FC and Woody! LMAO!! I have been waiting for you two to comment! I knew it would be good.

myamuhnative said...

I'll bet your sitemeter is gonna be off the charts with this title and that pic! LOL.
I still have some late planted cabbages in the garden but expect that they will not make heads as it is SO darn hot here.Seems like we got hot so early that most everything bolted.At least I have a good stock of seeds for the next go round in the fall.

MamaHen said...

Hey Mya! yeah, you're right! the hits have definitely gone up! lol!
Well, half of my cabbages bolted too so I was happy to get these.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hey Annie, the title really had me wondering what trhe post would be about. Seems the guys had a lot of fun with their comments. I saw a couple of nice cabbages and lots of sunburn...the dog was a cutie too. Hope the weather is not too severe for the plants.