Monday, June 06, 2011

When You Go Out With Artists

In an effort to show that I do get out and have some fun and are not all about work, I have some photos from yesterday. I was getting cabin fever real bad from not getting out of town any in the past week or so, so...we found an event to go to in Birmingham. It's an art show that I have intended to do myself several times but always let the deadline slip by. It's set in a botanical garden south of town. As you can see, it's filled with permanent sculptures, beautiful gardens and even a lake. There was lots to see.

The only thing is that it was extremely hot. The geese didn't seem to mind but the attendance was down amongst people. At least there was lots of shade for the artists and visitors both.

I loved the architecture of this pavilion. A few lucky artists, who applied early, got to set up in here. There were ceiling fans and a concrete floor and that made a tremendous difference.

I ran into a lot of artists I knew, either from college or just from my past of doing shows. Bob here was recently named to a prestigious craftsmen fellowship. He is one of only 5 in the United States in his category.


We had a very good time and even bought a couple of small works; one from a lady I went to college with. After we left the show we had lunch in an air conditioned restaurant!

It's not everyday you get to see 4 foot tall rabbits! So, we enjoyed ourselves and stayed gone about all day. Chigger was very happy to see us when we got home that evening. I don't know if she thinks we've abandoned her forever or what, when we leave for a day!
But, now back to the grindstone. It looks like I may have to start doing these type shows again myself, so I got to get that inventory built up.

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Beautiful venue.

ErinFromIowa said...

Loved this post's topic and venue! *sung in a operatic voice*

HermitJim said...

I really like the yard art! I think you need one of those big ol' rabbits in your yard!

MamaHen said...

Thanks ya'll!! yeah, Jim, one of those rabbits would be super cool!

Rurality said...

Nice. Kind of hot for a show outside this time of year! Are those Frank Fleming sculptures?

MamaHen said...

Hey Karen! yes, those are Fleming's. and yes, it was HOT!!!