Thursday, February 16, 2006

The house site!

The first thing you have to know is we are only building half of the house right now. Is will be (hopefully) a passive solar house with a dogtrot in the middle for cooling. This side of the house contains the living and dining rooms, kitchen and 1 bedroom and bath. We will build the dogtrot but for now it will just be a porch. So thats why this looks kind of small for a house. What you see here is the back foundation/retaining wall, spot piers in the middle and a continous footing with piers in the front. I'm calling the downhill side the front but actually the house will not have a front or back really and you will enter through the dogtrot. On this end you can just barely see a giant hole with some walk boards laid over it; thats where the concrete truck almost got stuck! It was a little softer than we thought. But we poured him out fine.

Okay, Here I am standing at the house site looking out across the front yard or what will be the front yard one day. Its not so messy now; we cleaned up the other day.

4 comments:

Rurality said...

Yay! I'm so glad you started a blog! I can't wait to see how the house takes shape.

Of course in the spring you will need to take frequent breaks to check out the wildflowers on your land. :)

Anonymous said...

Great start on the house and the site! Rah, Rah, Annie!!

Anonymous said...

This looks like it will be a blog of great interest to me since I hope to build an earth-sheltered house in my Missouri woods some day as well.

MamaHen said...

Hello Pablo! I hope it does stay interesting although at times it may be a little slow due to the fact we are doing everything ourselves and work full-time too. I believe there are at least 2 earth sheltered homes not far from me. Allen has toured them and said they are nice.