Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Laugh And Be Happy

Island Rider asked if I would post the recipe for the pear butter I made so...here it is! Several years ago Mama gave me her Ball Blue Book. Now, anybody that knows about canning knows this is a very good book. I love mine. Anyway, this recipe came from there. It very simple and I thought the pear butter came out well and I don't even like pears a whole lot.. I imagine Ball's apple butter would be good too. So, anyway:

Pear Butter

2 quarts pear pulp
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

To prepare pulp: Quarter and core pears. Cook until soft, adding only enough water to prevent sticking. Press through a sieve or food mill. Measure pulp.
Add remaining ingredients; cook until thick, about 35 minutes. As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Pour into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Yield: about 4 pints.

Now, on several of their recipes I have reduced the amount of sugar, as I don't like things so sweet and have had no problems with that. Also, I make up my jams in half pint jars just because they seem to stay fresher, because the opened jar doesn't stay in the fridge so long, but that's just me.

Also, I want ya'll to go over and check out a new blogger, Dan!! He left me his link the other night and I really enjoyed his posts. Now, his writing is mostly humor, no homesteading stuff, but if you need a good laugh, head on over to Curmudgeon's Complaint.
Now, keep in mind my humor is kinda warped and his writings veer that way but I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

So, back to work for me. Jack and I finally started framing the tool shed that links onto the chicken coop and we are trying to makes some progress before the rain comes back. Wish I could send some of it to places out there; I know some of ya'll need it real bad. I'll work on that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww.... doggie! I love pears and I bet I would like pear butter, but I'm under-kitchened at the moment, so not doing anything like that. If I had land I would be living the way you do. I miss berry picking and canning.

Doggie made me smile though :) and I always enjoy your posts.

Anon-R.

Island Rider said...

Mmm can't wait to try it!

JoJo said...

Sounds great but I don't do canning, no room for all that. But I did make the quiche it was so good. I had a freind over for breakfast and she loved it to. I have often made your Churchill Cottagecheese pancakes those are also very good. I like easy. Thanks
BTW love the mug and the 6 inc. pie plate.

edifice rex said...

Hey R! Thanks! glad you enjoy the blog!

Hey IR! I hope you like it!

Hey Jojo! you're welcome! glad you enjoyed the quiche and other recipes!