Monday, June 11, 2012

Walk On The Wild Side


Okay, all you plantophiles out there, I have a bunch for ya'll to rest your peepers on and see if you can tell me what these things are!  I have an idea about a couple of them but am not for positive on my ID.  The one above, I haven't a clue.  This clump just sprang up in the garden besides my volunteer zinnias.  It sort of has a vague resemblance to a poinsettia.  If you break the stems it exudes a thick, milky substance.  Something in my primitive brain tells me this is a bad plant. ????


I haven't a clue on this one either.  As with the first one, I have never seen this plant before but I think it's really cool.  This is actually more like a shrub too and the only one of it's type I've seen around here.


I think this is a type of skullcap??  This is a greatly enlarged image as the plant is kinda small.  It stands maybe 12 inches tall.  There are loads of them growing beside the drive but this is the first year I have noticed them.  It is so cool that so many new flowers/ plants pop up here every year.  I love discovering the new ones and finding out what they are.


I hope this is St. John's Wort but I am not certain.  I looked and looked at photos but I couldn't really decide.  These plants are about 16 inches tall and there are a number of them in clusters behind the house.  I have seen them around before but this is the first year I've seen them so heavily behind the house.  Maybe it's because I have cleared more back there this past year.


And last but not least, I'm not really sure what this is but it's pretty common around here.  These grow in various patches around the place in partial shade.

In other news, the baby chicks are doing real well and hopefully tomorrow they will make the move down to the main chicken run and their new digs.  They got their bronchitis/ Newcastle vaccine today so they are set I think.
The garden is going full speed ahead.  I have harvested several pounds of blueberries and black raspberries so far and today I cut 3 large cabbage heads.  Those were the first of the cabbage to be harvested this year.  The others should be along shortly.  Also should have squash, zuchs, cucumbers and onions soon.  And the rest of the garlic as soon as it dries up a bit from all the rain we've had lately. 
Since it's been raining a fair amount and I can't work on the outside of the house, I've tried to get caught up on some pottery.  We drove to Atlanta the other day to pick up a load of clay.  We had a real nice time of it and a great lunch while over there.  I took my camera but then realized on the way over I had forgotten the card for it.  So, no photos... 
Anyway, hopefully I'll have another post soon.  I've got tons of things floating around in my head; just gotta get them organized!

12 comments:

Pablo said...

The second one is definitely button bush. I've been planting them in wet areas around my woods for a couple of years. Great for hummingbirds and bees.

pamit said...

"Painted-leaf", or wild poinsettia, is a euphorbia so it will have that milky sap that can be irritating. It's pretty!

Pam in CO

Ed said...

The only one I know for sure is the button brush which Pablo already pointed out.

The last one I thought was cow slobber but when I googled images of it, they only have three petals while that one has four so I'm not sure on it.

Gin said...

I think the last one is a limestone wild petunia (Ruellia strepens ). And yes, on the buttonbush. Lovely plant.

Gin said...

The yellow one looks familiar but I'm not sure. Try searching "lanceleaf loosestrife" and see if that's what it is. Hmmmm...common names can be misleading. Try searching "Lysimachia ciliata" instead.

MamaHen said...

Hey Pablo! thanks! you know, it seems like everything you plant on your land I have growing in abundance here! I tell ya, I'd give you all the buckeye bushes you'd want to plant! they are a nuisance here.

Hey Pam! thanks! yeah, Rurality said she thought it was a type of poinsettia too. It is pretty but I'm afraid to have it around my chickens.

Hey Ed! Cow slobber???? lol!

Hey Gin! thanks! I knew ya'll would know!

MamaHen said...

Hey Gin! Did a little searching; I believe it is Fringed Loosestrife (Lysimachia ciliata)

HermitJim said...

All of the plants are pretty to look at, but like the others said...better to be sure.

Bet it looks nice around your place with everything blooming all over!

Coffeefreek53 said...

The first purple one looks like snap dragon, although I am not positive!

MamaHen said...

Hey Jim! Yeah, there is always something blooming around here!

Hey Coffee! Yeah, it does look like tiny snapdragons! I guess I should have put something in there for scale because the buds are only about 1/4 inch, so not a snapdragon really but they are similar.

Garden center Irving said...

It is so cool that so many new flowers/ plants pop up here every year. I love discovering the new ones and finding out what they are.

Garden center Irving

Karen said...

Sorry, I meant to verify that wild poinsettia, but forgot!

It's Poinsettia cyathophora. Then button bush (Cephalanthus occidentalis), self-heal (Prunella vulgaris), whorled loosestrife (Lysimachia quadrifolia), and wild petunia. There are 2 types of that petunia that grow here - they look almost the same, but the other one blooms a lot earlier than this one.