Friday, June 29, 2012

Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da


Laa la la la life goes on.....!  During my absence in the blogosphere Prissy and Sheila have finally become mamas.  They seem quite happy with themselves.


I didn't really intend to be gone so long but things have just been so busy lately.  The two mamas and their 6 babies now reside in Goober Chicken's old pen.  No one knows whose babies are whose but it doesn't seem to matter.  They just run to whoever is closest!



The babies wasted no time in acclimating to outdoor life.  They run and scratch with the best of 'em.  These little babies are basically mutts, so I have no idea what they will look like when they grow up.  They seem very healthy and strong.


The bigger bitties are doing really well also.  This is one of the Partridge Rocks I believe.  Most all of the others have most all their feathers now, including tail feathers, but these still have what I call "baby butt".  No tail feathers at all.  They are pretty cute.  These bitties reside in the largest run and have their own house.  They are some of the fastest little craps you have ever seen; they never stay still.  It's like they all get up and take a shot of espresso every morning.


 The garden is doing really well this year and that has been taking a great deal of time.  I'm already putting up pickles, jam and beans.  I'm especially pleased the potatoes have done so well this year.  I've harvested about 12 lbs. already from just a few plants.  I believe the influx of so much chicken poo is really helping the soil and such.






The red raspberries are coming in now; the black ones have finished, and the ever-bearing strawberries are finally cranking up.  I harvest a couple of cups worth a day usually.  Not enough to can or such but enough to provide plenty of fresh fruit for my morning yogurt and a snack later. 

I'll be back soon with some more in depth posts.  I've been feeling very much like the ol' square peg in a round hole as of late and not very sociable.  Ya'll know me though.  It'll pass.  It has also been over 100 degrees every day here for several days and it is quite oppressive.  We work outside in the morning all we can and then retreat to the cool inside when it gets too bad.  Hopefully this heat spell will be over soon.  Anyway, I'll have more later.

9 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

I was thinking about you today! Wondering about the garden and so on. Glad you posted. It has been hot and humid here in Iowa too. A humdinger of a storm blew thru late afternoon and washed my windows squeaky clean.

R.Powers said...

Chicks! You have production everywhere.

Caroline said...

Those berries look delish! I envy your garden produce already to be eaten, still waiting for the goods here, despite the 90+ days.

HermitJim said...

Those potatoes look great! I love fresh 'taters right out of the garden!

Chicks sure do look happy!

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! yay! somebody thought about me!! thanks! I was hoping this heat would bring a storm; it often does here, but not this time!

Hey FC! yeah, everything is just going wild! lol!

Hey Caroline! Yeah, it always surprises me that northern gardens take so long to harvest. I was actually late getting some stuff in here or I could have had some things even earlier.

Hey Jim! yeah, fresh taters just cannot be beat!

Ed said...

Now that song is going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day but I'm not complaining. It is better than the Raspberry Beret song that was stuck in there prior.

MamaHen said...

Hey Ed! heh!! yeah, MUCH better than Raspberry Beret.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We're finally getting our first tomatoes, plus lots of cukes and from only a few plants. Hot temps here too on the VA eastern shore.

Baltzar said...

Didn't know you had strawberries and raspberries over there in Alabama, I genuinely thought it was too hot over there. As i'm from Finland i'm quite used to the "nordic berris" as they sometimes are called. I live in the southern part of Finland, it's actually an island called 'Åland Islands'( http://www.aland.com/en )
And over here we have raspberries in the wild, as well as bluberries. All our forests are filled with both blueberries and lingonberries. But our bluberries are much smaller and they don't grow on bushes either. we also have these wild strawberries that are smaller and sweeter strawberries. Love your blog, and check out Åland if you'd like, i think you would find it interesting!