Monday, February 03, 2014

World Of Hurt

I just wanted to make a quick post to let ya'll know I am in the land of the living but it may be a while yet before I'm really back to posting.  I went this past Friday to have a spinal tap, which was super easy in itself, but am now suffering from some complications of it, mostly the dreaded.... Spinal Headache. If  you have ever had the misfortune of having one of these you know what I'm talking about.  I'm a long time headache sufferer anyway but this takes the cake.  The pain is somewhat relieved if you lay down, or at least keep your head and spine in a horizontal position so most of my time is spent in bed, basically doped up.  I will spare you all the gory details but I am at least so thankful that the puking has stopped.  And that is because of my long suffering husband and Dr. Nabors, who gets my vote for Doctor of the Year!  Long story but it involves 1:00 a.m. phone calls and a long very, very late drive by my husband.  Anyway, most of the headaches go away after a couple of days but for some reason mine insists on sticking around.  Hopefully it will get bored with me and go away soon.
I'm also having to write this laying in bed, which is as difficult as you might imagine so I will make this short.  Be back soon! Hopefully!!  Feel free to talk amongst yourselves.

13 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

Thankfully I have never had a spinal tap. I do suffer from time to time from sinus headaches. Blergh.
Hang in there Annie. You'll get this figured out and will be in fine fettle in no time. :)

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Caddie said...

Always feared the thought of having this procedure done. Hope you get over this real soon, Ann.

Let's dream of some 'clear days when we can see forever'.

Ed said...

I've had to have two spinal taps in my life and both have been horrible drawn out procedures. For some reason my spinal fluid is hard to find. I've never had a headache spinal or otherwise (unless you count an ice cream one) so I'm pretty blessed and will just have to take your word for it. I've seen others with migraine headaches and they look downright painful. Hopefully yours goes away soon.

pamit said...

Annie, I hope you are feeling well soon! A young friend of mine had a tap, and the headaches kept on for so long he went back to the doc. Turned out there was a very teeny, tiny leak - they hadn't closed the hole completely. Once they did that the headaches stopped. --Pam in CO

JO said...

Hope this passes soon and most important that maybe just maybe all this agony will bring some kind of answers to your problems.
Thinking good thoughts for you.

HermitJim said...

Sending good thoughts to you, my friend! I hope the pain goes away very soon!

Adrianna said...

You should have gone back and had them do a blood patch the headache would have been gone right away.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you can see, Annie, we are here doing exactly what you requested - talking amongst ourselves. Also hoping that you are feeling better very soon. I have never had and hope to never have the procedure you described. It sounds simply dreadful to be quite direct. We are sending good thoughts your way.

Myamuh Native said...

Ow ow ow.
So sorry to hear about the headache. It does sound like you may have a leak but I'm sure super Doc will take good care of you.
Feel better soon.

MamaHen said...

Hey Erin! thanks! yeah, I think we may get something figured out this time.

Hey Woody! thanks!

Hey Sissy! thanks! the tap itself was so easy; I literally did not even know he had done it. My blood just is a wee thin and takes a while to clot and I think that caused the problem.

Hey Ed! You are indeed blessed to never have had a headache and for some reason men are not particularly prone to get spinal headaches. I was blessed that the tap was so easy; I was scared about that.

Hey Pam! Yeah, that is referred to as a blood patch and I think I did have a leak but am not sure a patch would have helped much with my thin blood.

Hey Jo! I hope so too! One of the very first tests has come back a little abnormal so we may find something out yet.

Hey Jim! thanks man!

Hey Adrianna! well, we thought about that but several factors made me choose the course we did. Blood patches don't always work, especially if you had a bloody tap to begin with, which mine was. My blood just wasn't clotting and more squirted in the hole may not have worked. Plus, the hour drive back to UAB while I was puking everywhere, to let them jab my spine again was just not too appealing. The meds he got me helped very quickly and then it was just a matter of resting.

Hey Bea! Yes, and I'm so glad ya'll are! lol! thanks! I'm doing much better today.

Hey Mya! thanks! Yes, he's doing a good job I think!

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon Annie. Spring is coming! That will make us all feel better!
Maggie

Island Rider said...

Sorry I missed this. I had a spinal tap in December. Also surprisingly easy but recovery was harder than expected. Hope you are feeling well soon. And that you get good results. Are they looking for what I think they might be? If so, I have it too. Email me for more details cslu1@aol.com