Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Where Is My Mind?

I guess it's just scattered all over the place lately and I haven't been able to get it together enough to write anything down. Been working at my company's new offices, building a conference table. That's what that monster of a thing is in the pics. My part mainly, was to weld together the steel frame and then the boys will pour a concrete top on it. The top will be ground and polished so the steel grid work will show in the concrete. I think it will look pretty cool.
I was having to weld in a finished room over carpet! We put plywood and welding blankets down over everything but it's virtually impossible to stop all the slag from getting to something.
The offices are a little over an hour from my house so driving to and from didn't leave me much time after I got home and certainly none in the mornings. I was having to get up at 3:45 a.m. to get to job on time.

So, in other news, I'm laid off again. I know the people at the unemployment office are getting tired of seeing me reapply so much. Hopefully, this time I will stay off for several weeks. I have to make some pottery to fire with a plaque I was commissioned to make because it is very inefficient to fire a nearly empty kiln. So, that's a good excuse to throw some. Anybody need Christmas gifts? Other than that it's back to the siding and on rainy days I'll work on my window for the bathroom.
I've been pretty busy the last week or so but I guess I've had a bit of a writer's block too and had many things on my mind. Just having trouble getting thoughts together. We had another very bad accident on one of our jobs; guy got caught between a concrete truck and a concrete wall and you can imagine the results. He is still alive but a good friend of mine was the supervisor for that section and I feel bad for him. Several of my buds from that job have called lately and they are really having a hard time. The work is incredibly hard and they are working them just too much. The guys have said they wish I was working with them but are glad I'm not there because they wouldn't want to have to see me go through what they are. I hope the job is over soon as planned.
We have a few jobs here and there and the company is bidding practically anything now to keep us working and for when all those guys come back from Georgia. Daddy Rabbit is remodeling a couple of bathrooms in a church, if that tells you anything. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if we find ourselves building a shed in somebody's back yard! But work is work and that's fine.

If you have emailed or commented lately and I didn't reply or was late, please forgive me. And those who asked about saving some of the pics of the lake for screensavers or whatever, that's fine. Help yourself and glad everybody enjoyed them.

*Pixies

8 comments:

myamuhnative said...

Me.Me, Me!
Sending you an email re ordering some more of the world's finest mugs!

Caddie said...

Hope you can show us the finished table - concrete sounds a little bit heavy.

Beau said...

Wow... that's some table. You have quite the basket of skills! I once looked at a house in WA state on the coast that was an old victorian. Cool part was the finished basement with a dedicated pottery room and a kiln. It was an amazing home for some ridiculously cheap (now!) price. I'd just like to know how to do pottery :)

Ed said...

I think I need to get one of those when I build my dream house.

MamaHen said...

Hey Mya!! ok, ok ok!!! lol! I thought you would want some.

Hey Sissy! I should be able to get by there later and get a pic of the table finished. Oh, yeah, it's going to be heavy alright but it sits on a structural concrete floor.

Hey Beau! thanks! you should see about taking a class at your local college. Many community colleges or larger will let you audit a course for a reduced rate.

Hey Ed! I think so too!

Mike said...

It is tough in the construction field these days! People are lowballing just to get jobs! We are really thin on work!

MamaHen said...

Hey Otin! yeah, I've heard of them bidding jobs at 1%! It's pretty bad everywhere I think.
thanks for stopping by.

Walter Jeffries said...

Cool. Or rather Hot! You do pottery. My wife and I both, independently before we met, did a lot. One of my project plans is to build a pottery room, er, studio, and kiln. I figure to fire in the winter and capture the heat coming off the kiln by positioning further down hill from us.