Monday, June 21, 2010

Mean Woman Blues

Well, I hate to foist more daylily photos on you but this weekend just didn't turn out like I had hoped. I wanted to be able to blog about putting up the last of the exterior trim and pantry shelves, since I just got the material in, but my body had other plans. It thought it would be a good idea to throw up for 10 hours straight. I got up early Saturday morning ready to start work and just didn't feel too good. I figured maybe I had gotten too hot at work the day before and was a little run down but soon realized it was something else.
Btw, this is one of the new additions to my daylily collection.

And this is one of the others. So, anyhoo, I puked my guts up all Saturday and just couldn't get it to stop even with taking some anti-nausea stuff so I finally broke down and had Allen take me to the ER. I felt stupid for going to the ER for something as insignificant as throwing up but I couldn't get it to stop. It's bad when you drink stuff just so you'll have something to throw back up. I know this is gross but bear with me. lol! The doc there said apparently something was going around as he had 3 other patients with the same thing at the same time as me. So, I didn't get anything done this weekend and I'm off work today. I feel somewhat better but we'll just see about tomorrow. In our line of work it's hard to jump right back to work after being really sick due to the heat.

This is one of the few purplish lilies I have ever found and it is a dwarf also. I like to layer shorter flowers in with the tall stuff so you have some rhythm of up and down.

I felt well enough to walk around outside a little yesterday and take these few pictures. This is a variety that I've had for a couple of years now. The blooms are very large on this one.

This is one of my favorite plants and apparently, a favorite of the bees also. It is a Vitex Agnus-Castus, the 'Texas Lilac' variety. It is very hardy and grows quickly. It doesn't seem to mind the heat or dry soil. They get up to 12 feet tall and are just covered in these blueish-purple spikes that all the bees go nuts for. Also, when the flowers fade, the seeds left behind can be harvested and use for medicinal purposes for women. It helps regulate your hormones. I have bought Vitex capsules at health food stores before and had great results. But of course, everyone should use caution and study any plant before using any of it.

Well, hopefully I will have something interesting to post about soon. I hope all the fathers out there had a great day yesterday. Oh! I almost forgot; some of you might be wondering about the title to this post. See, whenever I get this sick, Allen always tells me it's just the meanness in me trying to come out. lol! Maybe he's on to something.


*Elvis Presley

14 comments:

Anna said...

Your day lilies look great. We still have a couple of weeks until our open up.
Feel better.

Jenn said...

Flowers are always good filler!
Hope you are feeling better.

Caddie said...

Hey Annie, save me some of the Vitex seed. Never heard of it but 'draws bees' and that gorgeous blue caught my fancy. Your lilies are beautiful. I got behind caring for mine this spring but still some nice blooms.

MamaHen said...

Hey AD! thanks and thanks!

Hey Jenn! thanks, I am somewhat.

Hey Sissy! I've got some I saved from last year. If you want to try to sprout some send me your address and I'll get them to you. If they don't work I'll send you some of the ones from this year when they're ready.

pamit said...

Annie, those flower pix are incredible. The Vitex reminds me of hyssop, which everyone grows up here in the mountains because the elk won't eat it.

Damn, in that heat and humidity you can't take any chances. Stay home until you feel 100
%!
Pam in CO

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad the flowers came out looking so much better (prettier too?) than you were feeling. After spending a few hours at the daylily gardens near our home, I can really appreciate all the varieties and colors. Yours are lovely to look at..photograph fast cause they won't be around long. Hope you are feeling better, Annie.

Island Rider said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I LOVE that purple lily.

MamaHen said...

Hey Pam! thanks! I wonder if hyssop would grow here?

Hey Beatrice! thanks! yeah, I am really enjoying them while they are blooming.

Hey IR! thanks! I am feeling quite a bit better.

myamuhnative said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
I'd love some seeds too.
a 12foot tall wall of blue flowers would be awesome!
Maybe you might consider selling seeds al la FC?

possum said...

It seems to be lily week on the blogs! I visited our local daylily grower this past week, too. Yours are beautiful! Our grower had one for $250. I checked my pockets, but came up a bit short. Thank god they don't take plastic!
Never saw that big blue beauty. Wonder if they grow up here on the coast...
Hope you are feeloing better.

Eutychus2 said...

I'm glad you're feeling better now, and hope you make it back to work. If showing us those beautiful flower pictures is a result of your meanness then let it flow!

MamaHen said...

Hey Mya! Sure, I'll send you some seed; I just can't guarantee that the ones I currently have will sprout but if they don't I'll send you some fresh this fall.
I might could sell some I guess..once I know they are viable.

Hey Possum! $250!! dang! that's out of my range too!
I'm feeling better, thanks!

Hey Euty! Yea! I generally have no problem letting my meanness flow! ;)

R.Powers said...

Glad you are feeling better. That's a miserable feeling when you can't keep anything down.

You're day lilies look great but that Vitex plant is amazing!

MamaHen said...

Hey FC! thanks and thanks! yeah, the vitex is a real pretty shrub.
I tell you, I can take about any pain over throwing up any day.