Monday, November 10, 2008
No Such Luck
I managed to get my money from Vestavia but couldn't get the pipe to finish my stove hook-up. We thought that a nearby Buck stove dealer had it but when we got there it was not the correct pipe. So, Allen volunteered to contact a dealer in Birmingham for me during the week and see if we can get it there. Allen got all the pipe that came with the stove installed after we both moved the thing into the basement. I lack about 6 feet to reach where the pipe will pass through the eave of the roof. I have the pipe and cap that will go on top of the roof. At first, I thought that I would build a chimney around the pipe but since it is so large (and doesn't look like a teeny, stick thing poking out of the house) I think it looks substantial enough to stand on it's own. This is triple-walled pipe, galvanized outside, stainless steel on the inside. You don't have to use such thick pipe if it's going to be on the outside of the house but that is what came with it so....The area around the pipe and windows will be filled in with stone and the cement block below will be covered up by large, concrete planters.
I had to take out 2 of the windows in the basement but that's OK, I'll use them somewhere else. I will probably tile the area where the cement board is on the wall. Maybe make up some funky mosaic type thing just for fun. So, still no wood heat but I'm trying to make progress on that. Maybe this weekend we can finish it up. I'm very anxious to get this heater working because the small scale experimenting I've done with the gas heat in the basement, shows that this has very good potential for making the house very comfortable with very little or no cost.
Not much else has been going on unfortunately. I had hopes of taking some vacation time, when I was still on my last job, to maybe make some decent progress on the house but now that I have been transferred that won't happen any time soon. Next month I may be able to get some time off though.