Monday, August 30, 2010

Jubilate Deo

I guess the title to this one could have been, 'Purple Hulls and An Old Gray Cat', but that is not a song as far as I know. I had the whole weekend off so I got to go by the farmer's market and buy a few things Saturday morning. I got this mess of purple hull peas, sold by an old, dried up codger of a man, who assured me this variety was a true heirloom and he had been growing them for over 30 years. After I shelled what I wanted for eating that day and freezing, I saved a handful of pods for planting next year. Hopefully they will produce. I put these in a slow cooker with just enough water to cover them, about a 1/2 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 finely chopped onion, two strips of bacon, one crushed glove of garlic, salt and pepper to taste and a few dashes of cumin. They were the best I've ever cooked. Maybe it was the cumin. They got raves from others too.
I had a nice relaxing weekend; I hope ya'll did too.

It was back to the work frenzy today though and I got in fairly late. Just as the last of the light was fading from the sunset, but I looked up as I walked towards the house and spied this. Well, it was so luminous it was hard not to notice. It kind of startled me actually. I took it as a good sign. A sign of reassurance that things will be okay because I had spoken to Daddy Rabbit earlier in the day and he admitted that my time to leave the job is "coming fast". I may not even make it until Friday. As I have stated in the past to my company, it is only fair to lay me off first and keep the men with children working as long as they can. We have no other work and even though this same church wants some work done now on their original building, they have provided no drawings, so we cannot start until they get some and these people are not concerned about anyone but themselves. We must be substantially finished by tomorrow night as the church is going to hold the first service in the new addition Wednesday evening. So, as I have said recently about some other things, we'll see what we'll see.

12 comments:

Island Rider said...

"these people are not concerned about anyone but themselves."


That makes me sad, but I recognize how true it can be. Sad.

Eutychus2 said...

Annie .... that is certainly very thoughtful of you regarding your fellow workers. I remember using the line when in the Army my sergeant and some coworkers were on the schedule for a holiday and I would take their duty so they could be home with their families. Somehow, often in ways we don't recognize, we're always blessed because of that unselfishness. You are indeed a wonderful person.

HermitJim said...

I'm sure that something will turn up. The Fates have a way of looking out for those with good hearts, ya know?

R.Powers said...

Annie, that pea shellin' photo just drips late summer in the south.
I love it.

Noble of you to give sacrifice for the family breadwinners.
I hope that other work comes in quickly, but with a short gap for you to do the things you wanna'.

Hayley said...

It is nice to read a fellow southerner say things like, a "mess of" peas and a "dried up codger of a man" after being away from the south for so long. Folks talk different up here in Alaska.

I hope everything works to suit you for you as far as your future employment is concerned.

Attilla The Mum said...

Those peas look wonderful! And I saw your rainbow too Monday morning--was out on the porch with my little boy feeding the cat, looked up and there it was! So bright and clear. 'Course, my house is in Rainbow City, so we by gosh better see some rainbows here! We got photos too.

I agree with HermitJim. Something good will turn up because you're sacrificing for other folks.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The rainbow may be a sign of better days coming, Annie. Hope so cause you seem like a kind-hearted person always thinking of others too. The beans in the crock pot sounded really good. Homemade soups from simple stuff is the best!

MamaHen said...

Hey IR! yeah, it is sad. I want to write a whole post on my experience there if i can get time.

Hey Euty! well, I just think it's fair and I do get blessed in the end. I've never done without.
Thank you.

Hey Jim! yes, it always works out; always has. Thanks!

Hey FC! thanks! yeah, I think the work will work out! lol!

Hey Hayley! I bet they do! thanks!

Hey Attilla! yeah, I guess in Rainbow City that kind of thing is expected! lol! funny you saw it in the morning and I saw it in the evening.

Hey Beatrice! thanks! I took it as a good sign!

Beau said...

Love the rainbow, and the peas look great. I need to try some similar ones. Thinking good thoughts for you for the days ahead :)

MamaHen said...

Hey Beau! thanks! I appreciate that.

countrypeapie said...

lee likes to put cumin in his beans, too ~ it's really good ~ and i think we might've seen the same rainbow! i took pictures, too, but haven't posted them yet ~ it was the first rainbow my kids have ever seen, and it was a beauty

MamaHen said...

Hey Pea! that's so cool that your kids saw their first rainbow!