Friday, April 07, 2006

Everything Put Together Falls Apart

So, this is the house I have been working on since going back with the construction company I used to work for. Part of my own business is restoration work and whenever this company has a job that involves such things they let me come back and do some work for them. This is actually the back of the house here. Since this is a private residence, I'm just trying to show some anonymous areas of the house. It's really hard to describe this house; you just have to see it in person and then it takes you a while to really absorb it all. In this pic you can see 5 different levels within the house but I believe there are 6 or 7. About half of the house is underground. All of the windows are leaded or stained glass and they are being taken out and repaired and cleaned. All of the mortar between those stones is being replaced over the entire house and it gets a new slate roof. I get to do alot of the repair to the woodwork there on the outside.

This is the same side just lower down; I wanted to show some of the gardens below. This is also one of the creepiest houses I have ever been in. I swear, we all have the heebie-jeebies going in this thing. I will try to show some of the interior later but it's just like a dungeon in parts. It was completed in 1928, I believe, and the man who built did not get to live in it long when the Depression hit. He lost his fortune and in an effort to save what money he had, he lived down in the lowest levels and survived by eating rabbits and stuff he caught from the grounds. He could not make his last mortage payment though and the bank ruthlessly took the the house and threw him out. It was sold but the 2nd owner died in a plane crash before he could completely close the deal. The 3rd owner's wife went blind while living in the house and it was sold again. The 4th owner's wife was murdered in the house and he died shortly thereafter. The 5th owners got away without any trouble I think but they eventually sold it. The 6th owner suffered a major financial downfall and had to sell the house at a tremendous loss. It is on it's 7th owner now.

Almost all of the house is in need of major repairs. All of the stone paths and patios are going to have to be taken up and relaid. The craftsmenship in the house is extraordinary though. It was just neglected for too long.
This is a great example of the stone work in the drives and paths. There are 2 parking areas that have this design work in them.

This has been a rough week as I have been getting up at 5:00 a.m. to get to this job and then I get off at 3:30 and go to Allen's job and have worked until sundown for him laying stone. Then another old friend of mine died Monday evening. I had been trying to get in touch with him but now it's too late. So, ya'll do me a favor and call a friend you have not spoken to in a while and say "Hi".

We should be framing walls this weekend on our house so I should have pics of that soon and some more drawings maybe.

No comments: