Saturday, April 08, 2006

Purple Haze

I'd hate to see the size of the toad to go along with these things! I thought these were pretty cool though. There are lots of neat little touches all in this house and then some stuff that just really makes you wonder....
There are several of these little windows down on the lower levels and it just creeps me out to look in them. I just expect there to be some bony hand reaching out at me or something. There are a bunch of rooms down in the lower levels of the house that are empty (or full of animal heads, like hunting trophies) and we are not sure what they were used for. Most of the living and bedrooms are on the upper 3 floors so it makes you wonder what all the lower stuff is. We know part of it was servants quarters. There are a couple of rooms down in the lower levels that several people have said (unknown to one another) they got a really bad or ominous feeling when they went in them. The main front doors to the house are boarded up for protection, so we have to enter through a lower side door and go down this long, dark hallway to this spiral stairway and then go up to the main levels to open the house up. Then we reverse this to lock up when we leave. The other day we were leaving and I had to go out by myself and I got about halfway down the hall and I heard footsteps behind me! We had scared ourselves already by talking about all the stuff so I was creeped out to begin with and when I heard the steps, I took off runing to the outside door! I turned around when I got outside and saw it was just the man who lives there. He either got a good laugh or thinks I'm an idiot.
This is the view from the house looking out over Birmingham. I will try to get a pic from the roof of the house. It's really incredible what you can see from there.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one amazing house! Eerie, yes, but beautiful nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

wow! does it come with ghosts?

MamaHen said...

Hey gin! It is beautiful and the craftsmanship in it really is astounding.

Hey Kara! I tell you, I don't want to find out! It sure seems like it would though.

Rurality said...

Wow that is really some house. I thought it must be in M.B. but that doesn't overlook the city, does it?

Got to love those shrooms. :) Actually I like the whole thing!

MamaHen said...

Hey Karen! I think it is on the very edge, across Niazuma from the heart of M.B.

Jenn said...

Those mushroom stones are actually architectural remnants.
They were used in medeival times and you can still find similar structures in older buildings here.

I tried to find the proper name online, but my google-fu is weak today.

But I thought you would enjoy knowing this bit of building trivia.