Monday, May 25, 2009

Thank You

For all of our military folks out there, past and present, 'thank you' does not say enough but it's heartfelt anyway. We are forever in your debt.

This photo is of my one and only (so far) public works at the Alabama Veteran's Memorial, that Allen built, btw, and that I was lucky enough to work on some also. About 20 or so Alabama artists were commissioned to create these sculptures for the regiment of columns that are part of the memorial. I believe I showed the memorial in it's entirety last year. Not that I think my work is all that great, but many of you have asked to see more of my artwork. The ship depicted is the USS Alabama and the flower at the base of the rifle is a camellia, our state flower.


*Alanis Morissette

9 comments:

Rita said...

How beautiful this art work. Thanks for letting us see it.

Island Rider said...

Very beautiful and great meaning.

countrypeapie said...

Very nice -- thanks for sharing. We visited the USS Alabama in April and it happened to be a reunion weekend for all of the men who had served on that battleship. What an honor to contribute to the memorial!

MamaHen said...

Hey Rita! Thanks so much.

Hey IR! thanks!

Hey Pea! Yes, it was a great honor and that's what I'm most proud of.

Woody said...

Nice work...and what a wonderful opportunity for you to show your appreciation. I just think that is too cool.

R.Powers said...

Wow!
Very nice. Good attention to detail on that M1 Garand rifle.

MamaHen said...

Hey Woody! thanks and yeah, I was very honored to get to do this piece.

Hey FC! Thanks, man! Well, I was lucky enough to have access to a real Garand for sketches.

Aunty Belle said...

That is truly wonderful

Wow.

(if ya have a moment, check my Mute Monday post to see all the Memorial day statues)

Hope youse been jes' swell, Edi Rex--I'se off to read backwards to see what ya been up to.

Ciao!

MamaHen said...

Hey Aunty! Thank you muchly!
I'll check it out!