Saturday, October 16, 2010

On The Road Again

Well, actually I am already home again but Capt. Jack and I did go off on another short trip over to northern Georgia. He had really been wanting to go over to the Helen/ Rabun Gap area so we took off early Thursday morning and spend our time just wandering around here and there. In his much younger days, Jack used to kayak these waters of the Chatooga river. The water level was a little low when we were there so we did not see any kayakers. The area is beautiful though. I have been to Helen several times but had never been up towards Dillard etc.

In a lot of the 'touristy' areas you could see lots of big trout. Couldn't catch them however. We also explored several craft shops and found this one gallery that supported several potters. Most of the work was of really beautiful quality.

And yes, I do occasionally purchase the work of other potters. I really need to get back to throwing myself. And build a wood-burning kiln. Maybe I can get Jack to help me split the wood for it. lol! I think he might be inclined to look for a mechanical splitter if I suggest that!

We also hiked up to Anna Ruby Falls, which is a very lovely area. The trees were more in color over in Georgia than they are here and the weather was gorgeous!

So, I have actually been working on the house and have made some decent progress on the siding. I just need to run two more small pieces on the last side of the clerestory and put the final coat of paint on and then done, done!! Well, I do have one other really neat project I want to make for the clerestory, which I will show ya'll soon. I think it will add a sweet little touch to the house.
I have discovered that I have mice in the basement also. Now, this is one instance that it is nice to have a man around. Well, there are several good reasons to have a man around but you know what I mean.... anyway, I mentioned this problem to Jack and of course, he is now commandeering the effort to rid the basement of mice. He is taking this situation very seriously as I think he views this as an opportunity to prove his worth to me. You know, Man the Victorious Protector and all. However, the mice have him beat 2-0 so far. I see it may have the potential to turn into a situation not too far removed from Caddy Shack and the gopher. I did make him swear he would not blow the house up though. We'll see.


*Willie

10 comments:

Sissy said...

Beautiful scenes. I'm salivating. I could get lost forever in that pottery shop.

Its so nice to have fun. I'm glad you are enjoying yourself...in all ways possible.

This autumn is proving top notch for me. The brilliant colors!

HermitJim said...

Beautiful places you are going to visit! I love those falls!

Getting in plenty of road time, huh?

Rusty said...

Ahh the mice are moving in to escape the winter. It's probably a good time to bring in a 'working' cat. Grin. ATB!

edifice rex said...

Hey Sissy! thanks! we are having a real good time!

Hey Jim! yeah, but we may take a bit of a break from traveling for a while now. Lots to do at home you know!

Hey Rusty! Now, Grendal has tried to catch these! LOL! she did in fact catch a couple last spring but this bunch has proved to be rather sneaky.

Floridacracker said...

Fish!!
Wow!
Great scenery!

Jenn said...

Yay for the siding! We need to throw a cyber party celebrating this milestone!

Ashley said...

We had mouse issues last winter in the garage and used peanut butter on snap traps. They couldn't pass up the peanut butter.

edifice rex said...

Hey FC! yeah! the fish were nice.
thanks!

Hey Jenn! you got that right! lol!

Hey Ashley! Jack actually tried the peanut butter first and they licked it clean without tripping the trap!
He was successful in the end though!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice weekend travel shots, Annie. Guess the mice are looking for some places to spend the cooler months. We had problems as well, but not in the basement (which we don't have in our older home) but in the kitchen! Seems the little critters traveled through the ductwork. Those spring loaded traps didn't work - the small mice would take the peanut butter and not spring the trap. Then, we got the stiky ones and no more escapees. Maybe these will work for you too.

edifice rex said...

Hey Beatrice! well, Jack finally came up with a solution to the trap dilemma! I had thought about those sticky ones but wanted something that would be quicker, if you know what I mean.