I am very, very tired tonight but I did want to get up a few photos of what we have been working on in regards to the ongoing chicken coop saga. I tried to get some mud yesterday but they were too busy so we had to set up for today. This morning it was threatening rain but I didn't want to reschedule; didn't know when things would be dry again. So, I kept it coming and turns out it didn't rain at all. It was, at least, nice and cloudy so we were not having to work in the hot sun. Here my help was taking pictures instead of pulling that mud down! Ha! Just kidding! Jack did a real good job of helping me pour even though he had never done such work before. He caught on real well.
Seriously, there wasn't much time for picture taking so the next chance Jack got was as I began to finish the stuff. The large float there is called a bull float. You push and pull it across to smooth the surface and then move over to the perpendicular side to cross over your strokes. This works down any high spots and helps level the mud before you float it off by hand.
Obviously, the bull float is great when you are pouring an area larger than you can reach from the sides. After the mud has set some you can put a knee board out on the wet concrete, to distribute your weight, and kneel on it to reach the center.
And here you can see a little of the footing for the tool shed. We really worked hard because they sent me a little extra concrete. I ordered 2 yards but the plant loaded around 2 1/2 yards or maybe even a little more. The driver had a yard and a half left over from one pour and they added another yard to make sure I had enough. We poured everything I could think of. We filled concrete block around the house, set one fence post, dumped some on where the floor of the tool shed is going to be and finally the driver just dumped the rest on one part of my driveway that is bad to wash. That is another reason I like to order from a plant if I can; you will often get a little more than what you order. I figured it to be around 1 1/2 yards but you can't order a half a yard, so I went with 2. The driver was real nice and suggested the driveway thing because he said he would hate to take it back to dump on the plant yard when I could use it somewhere.
This is the finished slab. Or at least, finished after I decided I had had enough. Actually, it is quite slick and I was pleased with the results. My left hand may not function tomorrow, but I got a pretty finish. A friend commented that the chickens were not going to care what the slab looked like but of course, you all know that is not the point with me. Yes, I am screwed in the head. I care what it looks like but a slick finish is much easier to clean. I said those damn chickens better care!! They better ooh and aah over it and rub their little feathers over it and compliment me weekly on their beautiful digs.
I'm not sure if I mentioned in my other post but the slab is slanted 1/4" per foot to one side so that water will easier drain off after cleaning.
Well, bedtime for me!! and gonna take it kinda easy tomorrow.