Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lay Down Sally

Okay, the title has nothing to do with anything but I just couldn't come up with a relevant song title! So, not a lot has been going on and I'm running out of photos I took before Allen took off with the camera. I took a few with my phone but to get them onto my 'puter seems to be a real pain in the rear, so that's probably not going to happen. I'm still working as of this week. Still just playing that by ear. Our company has basically run out of work, except for just a couple of small jobs, so no one is really sure what is going to happen. I'm grateful to still be working and if it can last just a little longer I can pay off one last bill.
I have been running the excavator just as much as possible and wish I had photos or video of that but.... maybe later. I have reworked a bit of the drive, dug up a bunch of stumps and small "trash" trees to make a nicer area for good trees. I've planted several hydrangeas along the drive and cleaned up several old brush piles. I also started clearing an area for a chicken coop and re-cleared along the power lines so that the power company won't spray their noxious chemicals. Dug some drainage ditches along the drive and also artfully (ha!) placed some big boulders in areas to make it easier to mow. I might have done some more but can't remember right now.
The past couple of days I have been working in the garden though. The weeds have taken over so that I just gave up on pulling and mowed it! It's pathetic. I don't know why I plant a garden. I think it is mostly a waste of time for me. I think I would do better to use the time working on the house but something always compels me to plant at least something. I did harvest 2 more heads of cabbage and a couple of onions and it won't be long before I have a few tomatoes. But still, I wonder often what ever possessed me to think I can do all this by myself. It's way too much and I think that I will just half-ass do everything for years, because there is too much, rather than do just a couple of things well. If the house ever gets finished that will be a lot off but that is so far in the future it just seems unreal. I'm not really down but I guess I just feel like I'm chasing my tail, so to speak. I never seem to make a lot of progress. Well, I can only do what I can do.
I've been watching 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' tonight. One of my favorite westerns but I'm a big Eastwood fan anyway. I love it when he spits on the dog's head. 'Unforgiven' is another favorite and probably 'The Shootist". What would you say is the best western? And the best line from a western? One reason I love Eastwood's so much is they always have at least one good line in every movie. In 'Josey Wales' I think it is, "dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy." Ha!
Well, we'll see what tomorrow holds. I found a beautiful feather in the creek the other day when I got home from work. If I can remember I'll show a picture of it later. I'm not sure what bird it would come from but maybe one of you will know. I suspect it is a hawk feather.

*Eric Clapton

9 comments:

Pablo said...

Josey Wales arrived from Netflix while I was away in NYC. I understand part of it is set in Missouri.

I don't watch a lot of Westerns, but I keep reading that Silverado is considered one of the best. Also, Dances with Wolves.

Ed said...

I watched the middle part of the Outlaw Josie Wales last night too. However, my favorite western was one brought up by Pablo and that is Dances With Wolves. I've watched it a dozen times and have never grown tired of it.

Richard said...

Dances With Wolves is one of my top favorites. Like The Good, The Bad and The Ugly too.

MyamuhNative said...

LOL Annie,you're worried about the garden not being good enough but you have managed to use a big honkin piece of machine to sculpt your land , clear trees and oh yeah, you are building your own home too, all at the same time? You are my hero!
I really want a chicken tractor but the dogs won't let me have one :(

MamaHen said...

Hey Pablo! Yeah, a lot of it is about and in Missouri. I liked Silverado and Dances a lot but I guess my faves are the older ones.

Hey Ed! Yeah, that's a great movie.

Hey Richard! Yeah, that's a good one; and I like High Plains Drifter too.

Hey Mya! Ha! Yeah, I thought about that (complaining about the garden) as I was writing that! Well, I just wish I could get more done! I think a chicken tractor would be too much trouble for me. And I don't have a lot of level, clear ground.

Rurality said...

I wouldn't be surprised if your feather turns out to be from a red-shouldered hawk. They seem to love eating crawdads!

MamaHen said...

Hey Karen! You're probably right!

countrypeapie said...

High Plains Drifter. It's also a good Beastie Boys song.

MamaHen said...

Hey Pea! Yeah, that's a great one.