Friday, June 26, 2009

Drive

I'm getting really desperate now for posting subjects. Actually, I've thought for some time about doing some kinda instructional posts. Well, I don't know that 'instructional' is the right word but anyway, just everybody-needs-to-know-these-things posts. And not that I think that you all out there are stupid or anything but it surprises me sometimes what a lot of people (especially some women) are just not aware of. And not that they don't care or are not smart but they just usually don't have to deal with these things. But you need to know how to do things just in case. So, I know a lot of women don't deal with much as far as auto maintenance because their partners usually do this but you should still know how and where things are. One thing that surprises me is how many people, even men, run with their tires under-inflated. Do you know what pressure they should be at? Where do you find that info? On many newer vehicles, it is conveniently located inside the gas cap, as in the photo above.
Of course, it is written on the tires but I always find it hard to read. I'm usually standing on my head trying to see it because the tire is turned wrong. Another place you can find such info is inside the door. There is usually a tag with all the auto info (VIN # etc.) on the body of the auto that you will see when you open the door. All the tire info, recommended type and pressures etc. is here.
And of course, keep a tire pressure gauge IN your vehicle and know how they work. The men that I have worked with have always insisted that I learn how maintain and even repair various things on my vehicles and I'm glad that they have. I have never had anyone to do this for me and I always astounded when I hear girlfriends or other women say, "oh, I don't deal with that; my husband takes care of it!" How does that work? I think I lost my instruction booklet when I was a kid. Or ate it or something. I don't change my own oil anymore because of the disposal issues but you should know where all that stuff is; oil, transmission, coolant, etc. Know when it is recommended that ALL your filters are changed. Most people just think about changing the oil and air filter but there is also a fuel filter.

So, I'm really going to make a concerted effort to get started back on the stained glass window for the bath. Last weekend, Cat Daddy was home, so Friday night and Saturday were spent having a little fun but this weekend, it's back to the grindstone! I need to really get back to making progress on the house. Of course, I've been making good progress on the land and things like that lately but I need to concentrate on finishing the house.
I'm also going to ask again if anybody has anything they want to ask or see a post about? In fact, I challenge all you lurkers out there to comment! I see lots of regulars but get so few comments and I'm not complaining but I see the blog as a conversation of sorts. And it seems really one-sided lately. I'm not that interesting; ya'll need to talk too! I don't mind if you comment anonymously; I won't get mad. And remember, I'm a construction worker and everybody knows we don't have feelings! lol!

*REM

10 comments:

Caddie said...

Great post Ediface. I would love to have you instruct us about everything you know! Ceramics! I had a short taste of this many years ago and have always yearned to do it again. Love your blog, Girl. Keep on keeping on.

Rich said...

How about something about welding?

I am sort of a self-taught hobby welder, and other people's little details and 'shortcuts' always cause those Aha! moments for me that help me refine my skills.

countrypeapie said...

Nobody ever taught me how to change a tire, and I was so damn proud of myself when I did it for the very first time! My VW has a different type of jack than most other cars, and I stared at it for a long time before I figured it out.

I like learning green building methods -- even basic stuff like 'build you house facing this direction' is interesting to me, because eventually we plan to build on some land Lee has next to the river.

Island Rider said...

I'm still holding out for stained glass instruction.

R.Powers said...

Well, your art is always a winner.
As is your house construction posting.

How's that water system you built? Still working okay?

I'm replacing porch steps right now, so I'm not as needy as I was last summer when you gave me some tips on the great living room redo.
Always open for advice from a master carpenter/welder/artist/amazing biceps gal though.
:)

MamaHen said...

Hey Sis! thank you so much! I've been meaning to do a little video or something on throwing pots but have to have an assistant for that. I'll work something out when Allen gets back with the camera. And maybe some photos on hand building some pots or dishes.

Hey Rich! Great idea! I'll do that, again, when Allen returns with the camera. Do you use a wire welder or stick? Most hobby welders use wire but I only have the big arc welder. The principles are the same though. Anything in particular about welding you want to know?

Hey Pea! That's great and you should be proud and yes, every woman should be able to change a tire.
I've posted about the solar aspects of my house several times but maybe I can come up with something new.

Hey IR! Good to hear from you again. Hope you had a great trip to Philly. I'll do the stained glass soon, I promise.

Hey FC! You sweetie! Well, I would NOT say that I'm a master at anything (except being a goofball) but thanks anyway!
I've been wanting to post about some sculptures that I have done recently and have planned, so that's one.
The water system is working fine. I'll show something about that too. Good idea.

Rich said...

"...Do you use a wire welder or stick? ... Anything in particular about welding you want to know?..."

After thinking about it, I guess I am really more of a farm/ranch welder than a hobby welder. We have a little mig welder that I mainly use for welding sheet metal and a couple of arc welders for bigger materials.

The more I weld, the more my technique improves, but I am always interested in the 'proper' way to approach some welding tasks. Everything from the basics of a proper weld to advanced techniques is interesting at the moment.

I think I have mastered most of the 'rough' techniques, but I am interested in some of the more 'refined' types of welding. As an example, I just finished welding up a set of cattle working pens and gates out of oilfield pipe and sucker rod, and now I am contemplating welding something more finished and detailed for the entrance off the road to the barnyard.

Any ideas for building something like a set of eye-catching gates? Or, an interesting stretch of pipe fencing? How about hinges or gate latches?

MamaHen said...

Hey Rich! OK, so you have good equipment to work with. When I get my camera back I can show you the basics of a proper weld etc., although you probably are well on your way with that. But anyway, I can probably instruct you a little on technique and such.
As far as ideas for gates etc., I'm looking around for some examples for you. I found one link here, http://www.verdigrismetals.co.uk/gallery.htm
I know that most of their stuff is forged (and you may not want to do that) but they do have some pieces that use all straight material. I am going through some books I have that show some really unique gates that just use found objects and such. I'll try to get some photos for you. Sounds like some really cool stuff you are wanting to do and I am wanting to build an artistic pair of gates for my garden too. Give me a little time and I'll try to come up with some things for you to look at.

myamuhnative said...

What everyone else said!
LOL!
Ceramics,welding,building,stained glass.
Shoot, I like the "close encounters of railroad kind" posts too!
Just keep posting :)

MamaHen said...

Hey Mya! Thanks! I will!