Monday, January 04, 2010

Little Bird

As I mentioned in the previous post, the last couple of days of Christmastide have a few, very obscure associations with them but not much that I could find would be a practical way to celebrate. However, at least one day of the twelve is devoted to honoring the creatures of the earth because they figure so prominently in the folklore of the season. I picked today to try and show the critters of my area a little extra kindness by setting out extra suet blocks and feed. Squirrels will enjoy a few piles of nuts they don't have to scavenge to find. I will also put out a loaf of stale bread and fruit that any number of animals would enjoy. I might even put out some corn for the deer, although some might say I have ulterior motives on that one!
There are loads of stuff you can do for all the critters, whether they are pets or wild. Lika and Grendal will get a few extra treats. Maybe I can find a new heating pad for Grendal to keep her off the floor vent. We are expecting some very cold weather here this week so I imagine the birds and such will really be happy to see more food.
While I was putting out the extra birdseed today I spotted this guy (or gal). I know the photo is crappy but maybe you can tell that the bird is bright green. Now, I have no idea what type of bird this is (Richard?) and I'm sure that it is a common breed but I was quite enamored with him. It was so brightly colored and I can't recall seeing one like this before around here. As far as I could tell, he was also the only green one. There were loads of little, brown sparrows, nuthatches and cardinals but this little one was by himself.
For some reason, the tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight kept coming to mind as I watched the little bird. Perhaps because the beginning of the story is set at Christmas and New Years, I don't know. At any rate, the brightly-hued bird made me think; maybe the Green Knight was bringing me a challenge.


*Annie Lennox

4 comments:

pamit said...

Hey Annie, methinks that is a Pine Warbler. They're in your area year-round, though certainly not as common as titmice and such. Nice mindful sighting! --Pam in Colorado

Richard said...

The first bird is a Tufted Titmouse and I agree with Pam that the second is a Pine Warbler.

MamaHen said...

Hey Pam and Richard! thanks guys! a Pine Warbler would make sense because there are so many pines here.

Omelay said...

don't know but it sure is pretty.