Monday, July 20, 2009

Stoney End

Just a few photos to show the slow progress of my retaining wall around the parking area. I had to come in and cut the bank plumb again since it had slid down to about a 45 degree angle from when it was first cut. Then, I just started placing the large stones against the bank and back filling some, in order to let that layer of dirt settle to set the next stones on top. I hope to find enough of these large stones for this wall as they must be fairly heavy in order to hold this bank. The deepest cut into the bank is about 5 feet, I guess.

Well, crap; I just realized I somehow deleted one photo but it is late and I'm not going to try and get it back on. I am using a few smaller stones to fill in some gaps. Once I get the stones close I can maneuver them somewhat with that iron bar you see propped against the stones. I'm getting pretty good at placing them close with the machine though. I have walked all around my property and located many large stones for this. Then, when I get home from work, and have time, I go around with the excavator there and gather them up and pile them near the wall. Then I just pick through and set them. There is no way I could do this without this machine so I'm very fortunate to get to use it. Hopefully, I will get the wall finished (or very close) before they come get it.

I painted some over the weekend since the weather was so beautiful and cool and I will put up some photos of that soon. I changed my colors some (trim work) and think it looks much better. Ya'll can tell me what you think.


*Barbra Streisand

8 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Impressive! I think your going to give my stone-wall-building neighbor a run for his money. That must be SO satisfying.
Bonnie

The Thinker said...

I really like the way that looks! It's going to be awesome when it's done. Was your "cool" weather like our cool weather? High 80's, low 90's? :)

Pablo said...

Wish I had an excavator. (sigh!)

Woody said...

Looking good Annie...the excavator would get a hell of a work out here too. I've been picking rock and dry stacking them along my road since we started building here. So far I'm 3/4 of the way from the highway to the house. Rocks grow so well here. They are our most successful crop.

peace

Richard said...

That stone wall brings back memories of when I worked for a landscaper. He was a whiz on a Bobcat when it came to setting stone. We built one was that was 5 ft. high and close to 300 ft. long and I think I only had to use the bar maybe 5 times in two days.

MamaHen said...

Hey Bonnie! Well, I don't know; your neighbor is VERY good but I really appreciate the compliment! It is satisfying to build something like that.

Hey Thinker! Thanks a bunch! We had low 80's!!! and 50's at night! Can you believe it! It was wonderful!

Hey Pablo! They are great to have!

Hey Woody! Thanks, man! And yeah, it's probably my best crop too! this county is nothing but rock; might as well build with it!

Hey Richard! Hey, those guys that are good with these machines just amaze me. I plod along and do OK.

R.Powers said...

You rock Annie!
What a great machine to have around for awhile!

MamaHen said...

Hey FC! thanks! yeah, I'm very lucky to get to use that machine. It makes things possible that wouldn't be otherwise.